The Wrong Pronouns Always Drives Me Crazy!

Major Tom
Posted
Posted

My wife, step-daughter, and son are constantly having problems with saying the proper pronouns.

They constantly say:

he instead of she,

she instead of he,

his instead of hers,

hers instead of his, and so on.

I realize that it's difficult for them, but it drives me nuts! I'm constantly correcting them, and I even created and printed charts that say things which include:

He drives his car.

She drives her car.

It seems like such a simple thing to learn, but why on earth is it so difficult for Filipinos to learn this :89:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

It seems like such a simple thing to learn, but why on earth is it so difficult for Filipinos to learn this :89:

The ending vowel of many words here show whether the subject is male or female.  I have even read news articles where the pronoun shifts from "he" to "she" and you begin to wonder if the subject of the article was male or female.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

have heard there is no gender in the local dialect, what you are unable to change just leave it or go stark raving......... 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In today's world, assuming anyone's gender is apparently wrong.  Thus the Philippine practice of NOT assigning gender in their speech is currently more correct than our old fashioned interpretation. 

It gets tricky.  I am in Canada and I shopped at a dollar store.  The clerk seemed to me to be a man trying to be a lady.  It is so easy to say "him" when "she" is presenting as female.  I dunno what to say anymore.  Good luck with teaching the locals when our own countries cannot decide what is "right"

To be honest, it's nothing to do with being PC or confusion over gender, it's just down to mother-tongue interference.

And it's not just a thing here - in Hong Kong it was way worse. 

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

They apparently learn this in their English classes in school as whenever I ask where they learned English they say,"At school."

hk blues
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Greglm said:

They apparently learn this in their English classes in school as whenever I ask where they learned English they say,"At school."

They learn to incorrectly use pronouns?  

Possum
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

They learn to incorrectly use pronouns?  

Don't know where they learn to incorrectly learn to use pronouns but everyone the ones I've asked said they learn their English in school

My wife was taught English as a required course in school. When asked about the quality of English instruction at the public school she went to she rolled her eyes. She said,"They teach English but the explanations are in Tagalog and some concepts just don't translate well." Which might explain why so many speak English somewhat but understand spoken English not so well. For many the goal is to learn just enough to qualify for an OFW job/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2