The Wrong Pronouns Always Drives Me Crazy!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

After living in the US for 23 years my wife still fails to properly assign the correct gender. Most of the time I know what she means although it can become both confusing and hilarious.   

My wife does this quite often and we joke about it when I correct her.  Given that she is switching back and forth between Tagalog, Bisayan and English all day, it seems perfectly logical that she would mix up the pronouns, for the language reasons stated.

My 18 year old step-daughter is different.  Her English is perfect and she never forgets.  She is really good with language.  In addition to Tagalog and English, she can speak and understand some Japanese, Korean, and Spanish.  However, Bisayan, no.  When my wife and her family start going at it in Bisayan, she is lost.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Question for those who have been married to your Filipina for quite a few years (17 for me).  Do you or she still have to occasionally actually spell a word to facilitate the conversation?  I am hoping it is just me. :tongue:

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Question for those who have been married to your Filipina for quite a few years (17 for me).  Do you or she still have to occasionally actually spell a word to facilitate the conversation?  I am hoping it is just me. :tongue:

Yes sometimes, and sometimes visa versa (Married almost 20 years) 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, JJReyes said:

You are attempting to impose your language skill (Standard American English) on someone who speaks English as a 2nd or 3rd language.  Instead, celebrate the diversity.  So, which languages did you learn to speak as a child?  How many?  The United States actually has two versions, Academic English and Street English.  In addition, there are 10 dialects spoken such as Ebonics, Creole and Pidgin.  

Spoken Filipino is gender neutral.  Your issue happens when their primary language Tagalog is translated to a secondary (English).  There are other interesting quirks like, "Kill the light." instead of, "Turn off the light."

I disagree to an extent - first of all I commend folk here who speak English to any extent as they have already surpassed my ability in their language.  But, I cannot agree that we should simply accept this incorrect grammar as being different rather than wrong.  It can, and does, cause confusion and a negative impression so best avoided.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes, a favorite of mine.  "Off the light"  or "On the light" are frequently used as there is no "turning" involved.  And yet English speakers consider that wrong?

In Hong Kong it's open and close the light/ac etc etc

As for turn on/off - don't see the problem as we are turning on and off the power so makes perfect sense.  

• Like 1

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

I think some of the issue of the Pronoun swapping is there is a large number of "shes" that are really "Hes" and vice versa........

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes, a favorite of mine.  "Off the light"  or "On the light" are frequently used as there is no "turning" involved.  And yet English speakers consider that wrong?

I think in the US anything with a knob is "turn off/on" television, radio, lights, etc., turn "up/down" volume, bass, treble, news, etc.

Here is what an antique light switch looked like, so it makes sort of sense to "turn" it on or off.

Antique Rotary Switch In Antique Switch Plates & Outlet Covers for sale |  eBay

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

I disagree to an extent - first of all I commend folk here who speak English to any extent as they have already surpassed my ability in their language.  But, I cannot agree that we should simply accept this incorrect grammar as being different rather than wrong.  It can, and does, cause confusion and a negative impression so best avoided.  

We are now in the middle of an English language crisis because sex classification is no longer a simple Male/Female, He/She.  You have to be accurate the first time or be labeled a racist.  My younger son, who happens to be a public school teacher dealing with this kind of nonsenses, thinks a security guard at a McDonalds outlet in Makati has the solution.  Upon entering the premise, the security guard held the door open, saluted and addressed them as, "Ma'am/Sir."

• Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

Here is what an antique light switch looked like, so it makes sort of sense to "turn" it on or off.

I understand the derivation of the phrase.  I was trying to make the point it is as outdated to say "turn" off the light as it is to say "dial" the phone.  But you have to excuse me as I have to go spend a penny and pull the chain.

• Haha 3

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

We are now in the middle of an English language crisis because sex classification is no longer a simple Male/Female, He/She.  You have to be accurate the first time or be labeled a racist.  My younger son, who happens to be a public school teacher dealing with this kind of nonsenses, thinks a security guard at a McDonalds outlet in Makati has the solution.  Upon entering the premise, the security guard held the door open, saluted and addressed them as, "Ma'am/Sir."

That may work in most cases, but how do you address an Agender person?

Since "Agender" is a term used for people who are gender-neutral (and don't align themselves with being a man, woman, or any other gender), saying "Ma'am/Sir" would not be politically correct--plus, it may even be offensive to an Agender person.