TCL Smart TVs = Opinions?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Our 6 year old 55 inch Samsung is on the blink.  When you try to select the source with the remote or the control on the back, it just does some crazy stuff, then comes up with a message to contact service.  I will have it diagnosed, but if the board is bad, the authorized service center said the board alone will cost around p7000.  If that is the case, total will be 10k, I think, parts and labor.  Might need to consider a new one.

I passed on TCL 6 years ago and bought the Samsung for 52K.  The TCLs SEEM better now and they are lower priced.  For example:

https://home.abenson.com/tcl-uhd-65p615.html

I do want Android if I buy one.  My BIL in Baguio has a 65 Skyworth that has a great picture.  I will need to stick with lower priced model.  Don't need the latest and greatest name brands.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I've been leery of the lower priced Chinese branded appliances for years but recently I've seen reviews changing my mind.  TCL seems to be reviewed much better than they were when first released and are competitive performance-wise with the "big" brands.  

I look at it this way:  Remember when the Korean brands were considered trash?  Goldstar (now LG), Samsung etc, back then if it didn't come from Japan, people didn't want to know.  They upped their game and are now the "higher end" if you leave the Euro stuff out of the picture.  

I had a Hisense fridge in a rental for years, it didn't miss a beat. 

Hyundai and Daewoo were considered trash when they first hit the west as well. 

I think all around, the Chinese manufacturers now realise the west's expectations when it comes to consumer goods and are either meeting or coming closer to those expectations every year.    

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I have a 49" TCL - we bought it about 2 years ago.

It was a bit cheaper than the higher end models but not hugely so.  It does everything well enough but is somehow underwhelming although it's difficult to be specific.  That said, there are 2 I can mention - the first is that pretty much from the get-go there has been an annoying blur all the way around the screen (just a cm or less)- sometimes it's more apparent than others and actually not such a big deal for me.  A second is that it doesn't work well with a 5G signal - often disconnects completely. We have a Sony in another room which is actually further from the modem which picks up 5G no problem.  Again, not a big deal as even with the standard signal we are getting way more than we need so who cares.  

We actually bought a new TV last weekend - we opted for Samsung (despite the higher price) and discounted TCL off the bat so read into that what you will.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, hk blues said:

A second is that it doesn't work well with a 5G signal - often disconnects completely. We have a Sony in another room which is actually further from the modem which picks up 5G no problem.  Again, not a big deal as even with the standard signal we are getting way more than we need so who cares.  .

If you have a dual band modem connect your TV to the 2.4GHz rather than the 5Ghz on your WIFI.  2.4GHz has a slightly lower data rate but a longer range (almost double on paper - it's all to do with wavelength etc) and the data rate on 2.4GHz should still be fine for 4k.  I understand it's closer but the TCL probably has a lower quality receiver than the Sony so switching bands on the TCL may fix your problem.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

I've been leery of the lower priced Chinese branded appliances for years but recently I've seen reviews changing my mind.  TCL seems to be reviewed much better than they were when first released and are competitive performance-wise with the "big" brands.  

I look at it this way:  Remember when the Korean brands were considered trash?  Goldstar (now LG), Samsung etc, back then if it didn't come from Japan, people didn't want to know.  They upped their game and are now the "higher end" if you leave the Euro stuff out of the picture.  

I had a Hisense fridge in a rental for years, it didn't miss a beat. 

Hyundai and Daewoo were considered trash when they first hit the west as well. 

I think all around, the Chinese manufacturers now realise the west's expectations when it comes to consumer goods and are either meeting or coming closer to those expectations every year.    

I thought I remembered that TCL was assembled in the Philippines, but apparently not.  I'm not real thrilled with buying Chinese stuff for moral reasons, but hard to avoid sometimes.  Yes, I hear you on the Korean autos.  My BIL bought a Hyundai sedan when they were still looked down upon.  80's??  It was a super reliable car.

TCL has established its manufacturing plants in Egypt, Vietnam, and China. Mexico, Brazil, Russia, China, India, and Poland. 

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Had a 55 inch Skyworth for 4 years now. Worked excellently. Ocassionally needs to restart but then so do pcs.  Was low priced, bought at SM and been very happy with it. Yes there are the Sony and Samsungs but this does the job.

fyi, when shopping ask  store staff to turn the brightness to a normal level, they always put brightness to full level so you will see how "bright " the pic is.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I have a 49" TCL - we bought it about 2 years ago.

It was a bit cheaper than the higher end models but not hugely so.  It does everything well enough but is somehow underwhelming although it's difficult to be specific.  That said, there are 2 I can mention - the first is that pretty much from the get-go there has been an annoying blur all the way around the screen (just a cm or less)- sometimes it's more apparent than others and actually not such a big deal for me.  A second is that it doesn't work well with a 5G signal - often disconnects completely. We have a Sony in another room which is actually further from the modem which picks up 5G no problem.  Again, not a big deal as even with the standard signal we are getting way more than we need so who cares.  

We actually bought a new TV last weekend - we opted for Samsung (despite the higher price) and discounted TCL off the bat so read into that what you will.

Thanks, good info.  I'm picky about picture quality and a blur around the edge would be annoying.  How long is the warranty?

My Samsung is right next to the router so is usually hooked to 5g.  I think 5G is actually faster than hard wire network cable, right?  Like you, 5g does not work well in our bedroom TV,  In fact, 2.4 G does not work well either, so I have a powerline adapter in there that works good.  Darn U.S. Navy made the concrete too thick!

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

If you have a dual band modem connect your TV to the 2.4GHz rather than the 5Ghz on your WIFI.  2.4GHz has a slightly lower data rate but a longer range (almost double on paper - it's all to do with wavelength etc) and the data rate on 2.4GHz should still be fine for 4k.  I understand it's closer but the TCL probably has a lower quality receiver than the Sony so switching bands on the TCL may fix your problem.  

yep...that's what we do and it's fine for 4k.  So, the Sony is connected to the 5Ghz and the TCL the 2.4Ghz and all works well enough. 

I just mention it because it's indicative of why the TCL is adequate but not great.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Thanks, good info.  I'm picky about picture quality and a blur around the edge would be annoying.  How long is the warranty?

My Samsung is right next to the router so is usually hooked to 5g.  I think 5G is actually faster than hard wire network cable, right?  Like you, 5g does not work well in our bedroom TV,  In fact, 2.4 G does not work well either, so I have a powerline adapter in there that works good.  Darn U.S. Navy made the concrete too thick!

The warranty was 2 years - the issue is so unobtrusive we haven't bothered to look further into it.  

As for 5G - I may be wrong but I think a Lan cable will always beat a wifi connection for speed.  My basic understanding is that 5Ghz is faster than 2.4Ghz but less stable so it will depend on where the TV or device is located which will be better.  As I said, the TCL is well within the 5Ghz range (about 3metres from the modem) but simply fails to pick it up or has ridiculously slow speeds.  

I wouldn't not buy another TCL but I wouldn't have it top of my list.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I think 5G is actually faster than hard wire network cable, right? 

Ethernet is still faster and more stable but as the tx/rx improves 5GHz will eventually overtake your hard connection in the not to distant future.  

• Like 2