TCL Smart TVs = Opinions?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Found a setting in the new smart TV that almost makes the entire purchase worth the price.  There are a number of settings to use for sound; music, sports, etc.  I have had trouble hearing dialogue on TV for a few years now.  Had to always turn the volume up to uncomfortable level.  Found a setting for "Speech" which amplifies the frequencies used in speech.  Works great.  Also set up the Netflix and watched a show.  Still learning but good purchase so far. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Found a setting in the new smart TV that almost makes the entire purchase worth the price.  There are a number of settings to use for sound; music, sports, etc.  I have had trouble hearing dialogue on TV for a few years now.  Had to always turn the volume up to uncomfortable level.  Found a setting for "Speech" which amplifies the frequencies used in speech.  Works great.  Also set up the Netflix and watched a show.  Still learning but good purchase so far. :thumbsup:

Looking for a setting that will mute my wife whilst I watch football.

• Haha 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I am so happy that I did not have a mouth full of coffee when I read your post. :hystery::hystery::hystery:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Kingpin said:

I think you missed the point?

First you start at SM or Abenson to see what's available in your range, then you research to decide what to buy. Not the other way around, like you normally would in the US etc, for already stated reasons.

You may, I don't. I physically go to one of SM or Imperial and see what they've got and decide from there. IF I was going to research prior, I wouldn't use either SM or Abenson as I said, I'd go to either the manufacturer's site or a site like Amazon where there is a critical mass of reviews etc.  

Maybe you're willing to put a lot more effort into it than I am. And if I was buying a TV in the price range you obviously were then I'd probably do the same but I'm not.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Why restrict yourself to just when watching football?

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

I physically go to one of SM or Imperial and see what they've got

We're doing the same thing, seeing what's available first. Except for some reason you're gong to the stores, and I'm just spending a few minutes on their websites which seems a lot more convenient. Then I spend another few minutes reading reviews on various sites, decide what's best, then either purchase online or in the store.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Been here six years, never watched TV. Probably 6 to 10 years prior in Australia still never needed to watch TV. Actually dont recall the last time.

Internet, Google, Youtube, ticktock bla bla so why do we need a TV?  :89:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Been here six years, never watched TV. Probably 6 to 10 years prior in Australia still never needed to watch TV. Actually dont recall the last time.

Internet, Google, Youtube, ticktock bla bla so why do we need a TV?  :89:

Because some people enjoy different things, watching things on something bigger than a computer monitor for example.  Personally I'm a sports fan and an amateur TV/Movie critic (if you an find my Youtube channel I'll send you a cookie) and I enjoy the larger screen format to watch them all..., variety is the spice of life, not everyone is the same.  

Anyway, we're off to buy a TV on Thursday, we'll be limited by what they have in Du Ex Sam here in Guihulgnan or can get to us in a few days.  Not after anything too flash, it's going to be our downstairs living room TV and that room is small so anything over 43" is going to be a little too big to watch comfortably.  They have all the tried and true brands plus some the the newer.  TCL is now off the list thanks to some of you guys' experiences.  Not sure where we'll land.  

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

TCL is now off the list thanks to some of you guys' experiences.

For what it is worth, We have 3 LG smart TVs. First one lasted 8 years before it developed some screen problems. Still watchable but we replaced it. Over all happy with them

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Because some people enjoy different things, watching things on something bigger than a computer monitor for example.  Personally I'm a sports fan and an amateur TV/Movie critic (if you an find my Youtube channel I'll send you a cookie) and I enjoy the larger screen format to watch them all..., variety is the spice of life, not everyone is the same.  

Anyway, we're off to buy a TV on Thursday, we'll be limited by what they have in Du Ex Sam here in Guihulgnan or can get to us in a few days.  Not after anything too flash, it's going to be our downstairs living room TV and that room is small so anything over 43" is going to be a little too big to watch comfortably.  They have all the tried and true brands plus some the the newer.  TCL is now off the list thanks to some of you guys' experiences.  Not sure where we'll land.  

I genuinely believe my (small) issue is just bad luck which can happen with any TV - as I said, my much more expensive Sony has an issue as well.   I'd say TCL is the best of the rest with the rest being Sony/LG/Samsung.  

Based on my very recent experience, you can get a Samsung/LG 43" 4K Smart TV for 21K.   

• Like 2