TCL Smart TVs = Opinions?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Based on my very recent experience, you can get a Samsung/LG 43" 4K Smart TV for 21K.   

We have the 55" version upstairs, really like it and the minimalist remote.  Surprisingly easy and intuitive to navigate the menus as well. 

Waiting on @Mike J and his report on the De Vant <nudge nudge> 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Surprisingly easy and intuitive

Lyn and I both had a bitch of a time just trying to turn the volume up and down on that one.  But we figured it out by going counter-intuitive.

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

We have the 55" version upstairs, really like it and the minimalist remote.  Surprisingly easy and intuitive to navigate the menus as well. 

Waiting on @Mike J and his report on the De Vant <nudge nudge> 

Do you have the remote with the solar power? 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Do you have the remote with the solar power? 

No

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

We have had 2 TCL smart tvs a 32" bought in Cebu City which was android and a 55" from Robinsons Dumaguete a year later.

After 4 years approx both packed up...both needed new LED back lights...cost including labour was nearly P4k per TV.

After 4years age they are not worth spending that kind of money on as I know guys who did and the back lights went again after only 3 months.

We now have Samsung and LG tvs...let you know in 4 years if they last longer that the TCLs lol

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, OzeMike said:

We have had 2 TCL smart tvs a 32" bought in Cebu City which was android and a 55" from Robinsons Dumaguete a year later.

After 4 years approx both packed up...both needed new LED back lights...cost including labour was nearly P4k per TV.

After 4years age they are not worth spending that kind of money on as I know guys who did and the back lights went again after only 3 months.

We now have Samsung and LG tvs...let you know in 4 years if they last longer that the TCLs lol

I'd say that after 4 years with technology developments we will possibly want to update our TVs anyway. 

• Like 1

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

Agree ...especially as smart tvs are basically computer chips and wifi apps these days.

It seems to me the manufacturers don't make them to last like the old tvs so 4 to 6 years depending on the quality of parts and then they bite the dust.

Cheap thing no good ..good thing no cheap. Or....buy a cheaper brand like TCL and replace it every 4 years to keep up with new technology.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, OzeMike said:

Agree ...especially as smart tvs are basically computer chips and wifi apps these days.

It seems to me the manufacturers don't make them to last like the old tvs so 4 to 6 years depending on the quality of parts and then they bite the dust.

Cheap thing no good ..good thing no cheap. Or....buy a cheaper brand like TCL and replace it every 4 years to keep up with new technology.

Yep...there are plenty of conspiracy theories about how manufacturers install time bomb parts so the item will break after x number of years.  I don't necessarily subscribe to that view but can see that as we demand more and more for less and less with tech the manufacturers have to reduce cost somewhere so cheaper parts are an obvious solution.  

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 8/22/2022 at 6:37 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Internet, Google, Youtube, ticktock bla bla so why do we need a TV? 

Watch "Top Gun Maverick" on an 85" and you'll never ask that question again. :dance:

About brands, for daily use large electronics like refrigerator or TV, I say never buy China made. Korea or Japan only. There's a reason they can charge higher prices and keep getting business.  It's not just the quality, it's the warranty and service.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Here's a well rounded article about the most common TV brands our there. I like Techradar despite being US centric, they give good, detailed reviews that a layman can understand on most electronic entertainment gadgets.

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-tv-brands

These are the authors facts, your opinions may differ but I'll take the guy that does this for a living every day.  

• Thanks 2