Steaks

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Picked up a few kilos of steak today.  I wish.  I'm surprised it is not locked up!

IMG20220817124408.jpg

• Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Prices for prime steaks have gone through the roof.  Instead of consuming a 20-ounce, I look for a smaller cut on a menu like an 8-ounce.  A good substitute is quality lamb steaks.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

A good substitute is quality lamb steaks.

YUCH! But to each their own.  Others in my family love them and I did as a "kid" but not these days.

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Picked up a few kilos of steak today.  I wish.  I'm surprised it is not locked up!

Looks like the price for a few kilo was 1049 peso, about $19 (US) at the current rate .  I could not read the weight so I assume (maybe wrongly) a few is at least two kilo = 4.4 pounds.  So the price per pound is less than US $5 per pound is all my assumptions and math are correct.  I would LOVE to buy good steaks at that price.  

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Looks like the price for a few kilo was 1049 peso, about $19 (US) at the current rate .  I could not read the weight so I assume (maybe wrongly) a few is at least two kilo = 4.4 pounds.  So the price per pound is less than US $5 per pound is all my assumptions and math are correct.  I would LOVE to buy good steaks at that price.  

Right now, US$ 5.00 per pound is the price for the cheapest meat.  That's for chuck steak destined for boiling in a stew.  Expect to pay in California about $20 per pound for choice or a better grade.  My wife's go to dish in a Filipino restaurant is Bulalo.  The broth is absolutely wonderful.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Read carefully.  This is Wagyu.  This is $$$$$$$$

298769660_777332856801735_8009939552095939500_n.jpg

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Read carefully.  This is Wagyu.  This is $$$$$$$$

As stated in my post, I could not read the weight.  So is it 275 grams or 3.814 kilo?  Makes a huge difference don't you think?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Mike J said:

As stated in my post, I could not read the weight.  So is it 275 grams or 3.814 kilo?  Makes a huge difference don't you think?

It is $275.24 per kilo X 3.814 kilos = $1049.77 DOLLARS = 58,755.43 PESOS.

What throws people off is the price in $.  Royal Duty Free has many things priced in $.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

It is $275.24 per kilo X 3.814 kilos = $1049.77 DOLLARS

Okay got it.

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

After viewing the cost of that steak, I flashed back to the 1973 film classic, 'Soylent Green' where Charlton Heston opens the high rise apartment refrigerator, belonging to the elite class dead man,  and discovers real meat and a real tomato.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

Upon reflection, in some ways, we are  partially there  in many parts of the world.

Here in the PI, the wealthy elite have their spacious, fortified homes w/private security, etc.  Community water wells and spigots serve many of the lower economic classes and safe, purified drinking water does cost more than some can afford in places.

Maybe you could make a case for having a live-in concubine that comes with the nice apartment as part of the "furniture" as well, if you stretch a bit.

I watched a youtuber's vid of a ferry ride a month or two ago, where the passengers were having to sit on the stairways, just like in the movie.

I hope the world and the PI does not follow the entire script to its conclusion.