looking for good insurance and hospitals in Cebu

Patryk
Posted
Posted

Hi, 

As I have a rather bad experience with PH hospitals (not really my experience but I feel the vibe of how it works here) I am looking for good insurance for any future emergency requests in Cebu (long stays as a tourist, probably will get ACR card soon). I am wondering if it is good idea to just visit some hospitals and ask them which insurance providers they would accept, do you think that makes any sense? I have seen many topics with companies recommended for retirees, I am actually 30 at the moment in good shape with good health history. I think that widens my options a bit. Also, do you have any recommendations which hospitals are good there and which you would rather avoid? 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Most folks would say the two best hospitals in Cebu City are Chong Hua Hospital and Cebu Doctors University Hospital.   Chong Hua is consistently rated as the best and most up to date.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Most folks would say the two best hospitals in Cebu City are Chong Hua Hospital and Cebu Doctors University Hospital.   Chong Hua is consistently rated as the best and most up to date.

Plus perhaps most expensive also.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, RBM said:

Yes, especially Chong Hua.

• Like 1

Patryk
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your input, I have contacted Chong Hua, most probably I will visit them by myself in near future

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Mike J said:

There are two Chong Huas, the one in Cebu City is a dump, avoid at all cost. The one in Mandaue is much better, and next to it is the University of Cebu Medical Center UCMed. They're both relatively new and much nicer than anything else in the region.

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
On 8/19/2022 at 7:13 AM, RBM said:

You pay for what you get, and you get what you pay for... certainly true with medical situations.

Insurance... Cigna has worked great for me for past 10 years. Expensive but you pay for what you get. BUPA also excellent and also very expensive.

Mixed reports about the Filipino one,  Pacific Cross.

• Like 2

Patryk
Posted
Posted

So as an update, to anyone who might search later, I visited Chong Hua in Mandaue, also nearby UCMed, both look good at this point. They told me also Pacific Cross should be best, they stated a few more but always mentioned Pacific Cross at first. They could accept Cigna or Allianz however both hospitals don't cooperate with international companies directly ( these international companies need to cooperate with local insurance companies). And BTW for someone 30yo, the worldwide Cigna silver plan cost 2000$ if you would like to use it mainly in Philippines, it may seem like a lot but considering what I was paying for national insurance in my past and what service I got for it, it seems okay-assuming it will work well.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
JohnGalt84
Posted
Posted

Pope John Paul II Hospital was exceptional in their care. I had the unfortunate luck of going there twice -once for a motorbike crash that I’m now thankful to those pesky traffic-officers who flagged me twice for no helmet. I broke my rib and my head hit the concrete hard enough to break the mask off of the helmet. I took myself there - they were Extremely Professional, Thorough, Reasonable and Fast. 

The second stay: I was essentially quarantined with my fiancé for 5 days as she had fallen ill. I couldn’t visit come and go rather it was stay the entire time or don’t visit. So I stayed. Bring your own toiletries but I imagine they were simply cutting cost where they could. 

The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. She was better in no time.  Again- an extremely reasonable bill. Food was dreadful but what hospital isn’t when it comes to the menu? 

• Like 3