Living cost where you live

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

What confuses me is that countries that produce most of their own energy, for domestic use, not export, are experiencing the same price rises.  There is something not right here.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

What confuses me is that countries that produce most of their own energy, for domestic use, not export, are experiencing the same price rises.  There is something not right here.

Many countries have 'world market price' matching mechanisms in place (as Australia does for crude oil).

stevewool
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Mike J said:

Your utility bills are set to more than triple?  

Well that’s the joke , they are claiming that bills could be going up up to 80% more then they use to be , I am thinking they just want to cover any extra usages, but they also can make interest on the money they have extra from all there customers which could be millions 

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

So they're predicting this is going to continue if not get worse.  

The final hour , the new leader of the governing party will come in with some sort of plan to help the needed , but it will still go up not as much as the media and Facebook folk are telling us though , but as I’m not part of the needed or a pensioner it’s going to be difficult 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

So they're predicting this is going to continue if not get worse.  

It will get worse before it gets better - the cap is predicted to increase again in, I think, April '23.  The issue is the wholesale price of gas is rocketing for obvious reasons and, for some bizarre reason, the UK regulator has joined gas and electricity together in terms of the price cap so as gas goes up, so does electricity.  I reckon the incoming PM will resolve that immediately and step in with some kind of support even if it's indirect i.e. reduce VAT to leave people with more disposable income to pay their fuel bills.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 8/28/2022 at 3:12 PM, BrettGC said:

JJ, by extension, you shouldn't be using the internet or a smart phone at all then; just about every site on the planet data harvests these days and are quite open about it. 

Yes. Agree.  What we do is try to lower our profile.  This includes my not taking pictures with the camera feature and not posting photographs.  Although I have a bachelor's degree in professional advertising photography from Art Center College of Design, I seldom take photographs anymore.  On rare occasions, I use a regular camera.  (Just destroyed 7,000 transparency slides previously housed with a stock photography company in Hong Kong.)

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Utilities are monopolies.  Supposedly, there is a government body that regulates them, but it is really the utility company that controls.

• 2 weeks later...
stevewool
Posted
Posted
On 9/1/2022 at 8:30 AM, stevewool said:

The final hour , the new leader of the governing party will come in with some sort of plan to help the needed , but it will still go up not as much as the media and Facebook folk are telling us though , but as I’m not part of the needed or a pensioner it’s going to be difficult 

Well it looks like I was right about the utilities going up but not by what they was threatening us by , was this the plan all along , anyway it will still be more then I use to pay .

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, stevewool said:

Well it looks like I was right about the utilities going up but not by what they was threatening us by , was this the plan all along , anyway it will still be more then I use to pay .

Plan...you make it sound like they know what they're doing!

Seriously though, I don't think there was any plan, the changes announced were triggered by the pricing mechanism in place, not so much a conscious decision as a default one. The only question was to what extent the government would underwrite the losses the power companies make I'd a lower ceiling was introduced.

Can't see any upside for the Gov waiting - Truss and Co are not being seen as a White Knight- rather just doing what was expected and required.

• 6 months later...
P_X
Posted
Posted

We spent less than $900 usd all in last month. We live in cebu near lapu lapu 

• Like 2