International calling to and from the USA on a cell phone

longway
Posted
Posted

My Cell phone carrier offers an international calling plan but it does not include the Philippines. I use a separate phone with a Phil sim card when in country but I want to receive and send texts using my USA phone back to and from the states while there.  I would like to know what others are doing to enable this.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Check out the international calling rates on Skype, I think it's something like $10USD a month for 300mins talk time to phones.  I use the Australian deal to deal with government agencies etc.  Never had to text though.  I only maintain an Australian sim at all for login and transaction verification by text on those web sites that require it.  I don't know if you can text through Skype but I suspect you can.

How to add credit to Skype:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/fa570/how-do-i-purchase-skype-credit

Edit:  I believe Viber has a similar service.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I made a phone call recently to the Philippines without realizing it was not set on Facetime.  The AT&T charge for one hour was $200!  Pissed me off.  Time to change the phone provider.

• Sad 1

JamesBond
Posted
Posted

I use and recommend Google Fi (Google's cell phone service) with a local SIM too. Fi works worldwide. Most phones are dual-SIM these days. The last few generations of Google's phones (Pixel phones) can use an e-SIM for Fi and a physical SIM for the Filipino one.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, JamesBond said:

I use and recommend Google Fi (Google's cell phone service) with a local SIM too. Fi works worldwide. Most phones are dual-SIM these days. The last few generations of Google's phones (Pixel phones) can use an e-SIM for Fi and a physical SIM for the Filipino one.

I  may have to investigate this, I have a Pixel.  

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I  may have to investigate this, I have a Pixel.  

Ok, so quickly checked it out and Skype suits me better living in PI.  I wish I'd know about Fi when I was visiting regularly.  

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

I use Magic Jack and Messaenger.  Texting and calls are no problem on either to anywhere.  For Messenger the person you are calling must have Messenger, but connections are great.  I call/message Costa Rica, Columbia, and US frequently.  Good Luck!  :cheersty:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have never met a Filipina who does not have Facebook Messenger so why not just use that?  Most expats that I know use it too.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have never met a Filipina who does not have Facebook Messenger so why not just use that?  Most expats that I know use it too.

I need to be able to call government agencies, my retirement fund etc back in Australia every now and then, they and their like don't use any of the social media messenger apps.  It's good old fashioned land line If I need to talk to them to clarify anything. My bank is the same.  

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I use Skype and just top up the credit every so often. It is very, very inexpensive i.e. a 30-minute call to the UK costs less than a dollar or so