International calling to and from the USA on a cell phone

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Me2 said:

The question I have is, when we arrive in the Philippines we will get local SIM cards and local numbers. Can we use this local number as a forwarding number. So calls coming in to either number will ring the phone with the local Philippine number?

I don't know as I have never tried.  Generally speaking, free Google Voice does not support Int'l calling.  When I want to call the U.S. on my Philippines mobile using Google Voice, I first start my Express VPN.  That way Google Voice thinks I am in the U.S.

I don't really see a need to do what you mention.  You can have your PH phone connected to the internet really cheap now, so the only time you won't have internet is in areas with poor signal.  As long as you are connected, you can get texts, calls and voicemail via Voice or Gmail.  For calling friends and family, I usually use FB Messenger.  For businesses, Google Voice.

I let all calls to my U.S. Google Voice number go to voicemail because I have given the number to various businesses that I don't want to talk to without screening.  E.g. real estate agents calling me to tell me it is a great time to buy a house!  :smile:

Scooter
Posted
Posted

I need to call customer service for varies companies in the us . Any recommendations for that? I just use load to call Comcast after sitting on hold for 30 min my load ran out and was cut off. Cost me 1000 ($20roughly) for that. Gotta be a better way. 

Scooter
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Scooter said:

I need to call customer service for varies companies in the us . Any recommendations for that? I just use load to call Comcast after sitting on hold for 30 min my load ran out and was cut off. Cost me 1000 ($20roughly) for that. Gotta be a better way. 

Sorry I missed the first page of this . Sounds like Google Voice is what I should look into. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Free Google voice number.  I use it all the time.  First connect to Express VPN.  Works fine for calling businesses.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Free Google voice number.  I use it all the time.  First connect to Express VPN.  Works fine for calling businesses.

Does Google voice work when calling from the Philippines to a landline in the UK, for example? I had it in my mind it only works for US numbers but may be wrong.

Scooter
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Not sure how you connect to express VPN either 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Scooter said:

My advice is use Skype.  

If you don't have a Skype account it's super easy to set up - and you can use it on a smartphone and a PC.  It can be used to call landline and mobile numbers - a quick check shows it costs 2.3c per minute to call the US - free if it's Skype to Skype.  You will need to add credit first using a debit/credit card though.

No need to use special codes etc etc - just key in the number on the Skype dialpad as you would normally and hey presto.  

Your call to Comcast would have cost about 70c on skype!

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Does Google voice work when calling from the Philippines to a landline in the UK, for example? I had it in my mind it only works for US numbers but may be wrong.

No, free Google Voice is a U.S. product.  I Googled and they have something called G-Suite in UK.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Scooter said:

Not sure how you connect to express VPN either 

VPN is offered by many companies.  Most are not free but a few are.  I pay for Express VPN.  I think it is $20 a year.

VPN lets you choose to make it look like you are in the U.S. (or any supported country).  So, your bank or business that you are calling or logging into will not know you are out of the country.

• Thanks 1

Scooter
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

VPN is offered by many companies.  Most are not free but a few are.  I pay for Express VPN.  I think it is $20 a year.

VPN lets you choose to make it look like you are in the U.S. (or any supported country).  So, your bank or business that you are calling or logging into will not know you are out of the country.

20 a year is definitely doable to make it look like I'm in us. Thank you. Have been having a hard time . That will help