Coffee Prices! Stock Up At S & R!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Coffee is an extremely important commodity.  I could live without air con.  I could live without food.  But gotta have my coffee!

Last week I was shocked at the price of Folgers Classic 30.5 oz at Royal Duty Free.  It used to be 13-14 dollars for the short red tub.  Now it is $21!  That is 68 cents per oz.  I didn't buy it because I was planning to go to S&R.  Instead, I bought the local coffee Siete Barracos Black Gold for $6.76 a bag.  Oddly they don't have the weight on the bag, but that is also expensive.

Went to S&R a few days ago.  The large 51 oz tub of Folgers Classic was 943 pesos, about $16.85.  Only 33 cents per oz.  I also bought some Yuban Gold.  p879 = about $15.71 for 46 oz = about 34 cents per oz.

I looked at Amazon today.  Apparently the 51 oz Folgers is being shrinkflated to 48 oz.  Only a few sellers still have the 51 oz.  The cheapest is a two pack for 64.99, about 54 cents per oz.  A 2 pack of the 48 oz is $54.99, about 57 cents per oz.

So I looked at the Yuban.  Apparently also being shrinkflated from 46 to 44 oz.  No stock of 46 oz.  Cheapest is $26.84 = 61 cents per oz.

So, I think S&R prices are based on their purchases and imports made months ago.  My advice to fellow addicts is stock up now!  S&R will catch up with their new purchases.

According to this website, global coffee prices are up 31.68 % YTD.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/coffee

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Folgers Classic

My favorite.  The size available here in Canada is 32.5 ounce and SRP is CAD$11.99 (420PHP) but we used to get it on sale about every second month for about CAD$6.99 (300PHP) but that sale has not been available in about 6 months.  The best we can get these days is right in the middle at CAD$8.99 (390PHP) and that is now rare.  So yes, coffee is going up all over.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

My favorite.  The size available here in Canada is 32.5 ounce and SRP is CAD$11.99 (420PHP) but we used to get it on sale about every second month for about CAD$6.99 (300PHP) but that sale has not been available in about 6 months.  The best we can get these days is right in the middle at CAD$8.99 (390PHP) and that is now rare.  So yes, coffee is going up all over.

Converting to USD, that seems like a relatively good price.  You should stock up the bomb shelter now!

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Don, I feel the same way about coffee it's an important part of my morning.

I've been noticing prices going up on my coffee brand as well. Inflation is across the board but more noticeable to me on coffee, beef and chicken. And gas prices are crazy. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

74749023-79014665.jpg

• Haha 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My favorite brand, a premium expresso, disappeared from stores, so I knew a price increase was forthcoming either on a per can basis or through shrinkage.  In the meantime, I am buying a competitive label at 60% higher.  Never could get used to Barako that is produced in the Philippines.  The premium coffee then was Hills Bros and Folgers introduced by the US army during the war years.  

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The size available here in Canada is 32.5 ounce and SRP is CAD$11.99

Those feckers!  Just went for a look today and they have the same size can and same price with the same decal that says "makes 200 cups" BUT the amount of coffee is reduced from 32.5 oz to 28 oz.  Maxwell house is on sale but their coffee is not quite as good.

• Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Those feckers!  Just went for a look today and they have the same size can and same price with the same decal that says "makes 200 cups" BUT the amount of coffee is reduced from 32.5 oz to 28 oz.  Maxwell house is on sale but their coffee is not quite as good.

Shrinkflation is everywhere, not just in your pants!  :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Haha 2

skippyscage
Posted
Posted

Buy the local grown coffee. It’s far superior. 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I read this morning that most of the world coffee now comes from Brazil, produced in highly mechanized farms.  Due to poor growing conditions (drought followed by hailstorms), this year's harvest is very poor.  The first price spike is 20%.  The second one is expected to be 30%.  This is for raw coffee beans.  Retail prices might be a 70% increase.  Time to stock up.

• Like 2