Coffee Prices! Stock Up At S & R!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/25/2022 at 9:53 AM, OnMyWay said:

Went to S&R a few days ago.  The large 51 oz tub of Folgers Classic was 943 pesos, about $16.85.  Only 33 cents per oz.  I also bought some Yuban Gold.  p879 = about $15.71 for 46 oz = about 34 cents per oz.

Went back to S&R Dau today and bought two more of these.  So now I have 3 or these and 1 Yuban.  Should be good for a month or two.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Went back to S&R Dau today and bought two more of these.  So now I have 3 or these and 1 Yuban.  Should be good for a month or two.

Luckily, I drink tea!  A pack of 80 Tesco tea bags costs less than 160php IIRC and lasts me more than a month.  I'm not a coffee lover although I can drink it - I love the smell of the fresh beans though. 

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
On 8/25/2022 at 10:24 PM, JJReyes said:

Never could get used to Barako that is produced in the Philippines. 

Loved this coffee for years.  My wife gets it from the palengke dark roasted, then we just grind it ourselves.  Good, cheap and plentiful.😀😀

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 8/25/2022 at 6:45 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Those feckers!  Just went for a look today and they have the same size can and same price with the same decal that says "makes 200 cups" BUT the amount of coffee is reduced from 32.5 oz to 28 oz.  Maxwell house is on sale but their coffee is not quite as good.

Those DIRTY feckers!  Not only have Folgers reduced the amount of coffee in the cans but just this last week they raised the price from CDN$11.99 to CDN$15.99 and all the while a similar can of Maxwell House is dirt cheap (about half the price).

• Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

a similar can of Maxwell House is dirt cheap (about half the price).

The can may be similar as you say... but Maxwell House tastes like it's half dirt IMHO.

• Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 8/31/2022 at 11:18 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Folgers reduced the amount of coffee in the cans but just this last week they raised the price from CDN$11.99 to CDN$15.99

Mwah ha ha!  The saga continues.  I discovered the 42.5 oz. size in Costco for only CDN$12.99 (563PHP) so that is only 13.25 pesos per ounce or roughly 33 pesos per pot of coffee.  I am happy with that.  Life is good again.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Mwah ha ha!  The saga continues.  I discovered the 42.5 oz. size in Costco for only CDN$12.99 (563PHP) so that is only 13.25 pesos per ounce or roughly 33 pesos per pot of coffee.  I am happy with that.  Life is good again.

How many did the boss allow you to buy?

• Haha 3

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
On 8/26/2022 at 2:52 AM, skippyscage said:

Buy the local grown coffee. It’s far superior. 

On 8/29/2022 at 1:22 AM, Balisidar said:

Loved this coffee for years.  My wife gets it from the palengke dark roasted, then we just grind it ourselves.  Good, cheap and plentiful.😀😀

IMHO, the local coffee (Barako) is truly an excellent coffee. I just wish that I could buy it over here in the States for same price that I paid in the Philippines. Over here, it's $10.95 for an 8 oz bag (ground or whole bean), but I paid only ₱250 for a kg at the local palengke, which is roughly ₱57 (or $1 USD) for an 8 oz bag.

• Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
On 8/29/2022 at 12:22 AM, Balisidar said:

Picked up a bag of Barako beans which turned out to be very lightly roasted. The bag was bereft of any information concerning roast level. Sorry to say I may, as the wife says, thrrrow it. Lesson learned. Don't take a chance on unlabeled products ostensibly intended for human consumption.

• Haha 1

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
On 8/24/2022 at 8:53 PM, OnMyWay said:

Coffee is an extremely important commodity.  I could live without air con.  I could live without food.  But gotta have my coffee!

This topic has sent me into a spending spree... since reading this topic, I've already purchased more than a year's worth a coffee, and now I have no more storage space left to continue. Maybe it's time for me to enter the Commodity Futures market and buy up some virtual coffee. :89:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1