Where to live in the PI for what I'm looking for.

Peter Magnolia
Posted
Posted

My friend who visited the Philippines 64 times with the USN told me there are Islands where the inhabitants have never even seen an English man or experience modern conveniences like flushing toilets! If one can believe that! Does anybody know where I can find such a place? I might like to visit for a short while and try the lifestyle out for myself.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Peter Magnolia said:

My friend who visited the Philippines 64 times with the USN told me there are Islands where the inhabitants have never even seen an English man or experience modern conveniences like flushing toilets! If one can believe that! Does anybody know where I can find such a place? I might like to visit for a short while and try the lifestyle out for myself.  

You don't have to go far to find places with no flushing toilets, it's commonplace here and indeed my wife's family have a flushing toilet which they disconnected as they think it wastes water!  I can give you their address if you like and you can try it out! :hystery:

Good luck with living totally off the grid - it's not something I'd contemplate back home never mind here.  

Edited by hk blues
  • Haha 4

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Bantayan is great, have been there many times for a months at a time. Unfortunately the new airport has or will open, and great hordes of Cebuanos ( and maybe even the chekwas )  will invade the place.

Used to be quaint and charming and full of chickens/egg farms but not sure will be returning.

Lots traffic in the main town ( its the Philippines !), the rural hospital is not somewhere you would want to go in an emergency, there are a few nice beaches, a few long term expats... But not a place Id live full time.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Peter Magnolia said:

You could just move to a city and crap in the river, at least you'll still have decent internet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Peter Magnolia said:

there are Islands where the inhabitants have never even seen an English man

I've never seen one.  But then, I wouldn't, would I.

• Haha 5

baronapart
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

You don't have to go far to find places with no flushing toilets, it's commonplace here and indeed my wife's family have a flushing toilet which they disconnected as they think it wastes water!  I can give you their address if you like and you can try it out! :hystery:

Good luck with living totally off the grid - it's not something I'd contemplate back home never mind here.  

My wife's family built a new outhouse for my first visit there in 2017 (Mindanao, Zamboanga del Norte). Excellent nipa and plywood construction, concrete floor and a standard American toilet without seat and flushable with a bucket. I really wonder what was there before the upgrade.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Here in Moalboal the locals will say; "I need to find a mango tree".  :tongue:

• Haha 2