Kirkland Lean Ground Beef

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The problem with the patties is that we would BBQ all 18 at once and I would eat them all week.  After a few days they start to dry out.  With the one pound chunks of the Kirkland, I just cook 1 or 2 pounds on the stove.  I got some parchment paper at S&R too, so I am going to try this recipe tonight:

https://thatlowcarblife.com/wp-json/mv-create/v1/creations/188/print

Try adding butter to your lean ground beef to make it juicier. About 3.5oz / 100grams per pound will do the trick. To make it easy to mix it in, first freeze it then use a box grater to grate the butter. You can also use some rendered bacon fat too (if used with butter then reduce the amount of butter to keep the ratio of beef to fat at about 20%). 

If you do the beef patties again here’s an old trick from my grandmother’s resto. Try lightly dusting both sides first with baking soda and letting them sit for a few minutes before cooking them. Later in life I found out why it works - baking soda changes the ph of the beef and helps it to retain moisture that is lost when it’s cooked (especially when fried or grilled). 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 2

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted
On 8/28/2022 at 10:19 PM, JJReyes said:

Most American ranchers sell their steers (young, castrated males) to feed lots.  They are raised and fattened on grain, mostly corn, until achieving a certain weight.  They are then sold for slaughter.  Increasingly, supermarkets advertise "grass fed" ground beef at a premium price.  I guess this is in response to public demand.

Great point JJ.  I grew up raising/ranching cattle and I have never understood why stores list "grass fed" as a more premium cut of beef than grain fed.  The claim is that grass fed doesn't have the "chemicals" that comes in grain or sweet feed.  The truth is 100% grass fed beef is for the cheap ranchers who cannot afford the grain and sweet feed. All cattle graze daily but usually stock grain and sweet feed in the evenings. The difference in taste and texture is completely 2 different worlds.   I can assure you that if you had a grass fed strip and a grain/sweet feed strip side by side, after tasting the difference, I doubt you would ever eat grass fed beef again (if you had the choice).  But I realize I have strayed from the topic, so thanks OnMyWay for the tip.  Interesting topic.  I will try to find it at the food store. :cheersty:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Peaceful John said:

Great point JJ.  I grew up raising/ranching cattle and I have never understood why stores list "grass fed" as a more premium cut of beef than grain fed.  The claim is that grass fed doesn't have the "chemicals" that comes in grain or sweet feed.  The truth is 100% grass fed beef is for the cheap ranchers who cannot afford the grain and sweet feed. All cattle graze daily but usually stock grain and sweet feed in the evenings. The difference in taste and texture is completely 2 different worlds.   I can assure you that if you had a grass fed strip and a grain/sweet feed strip side by side, after tasting the difference, I doubt you would ever eat grass fed beef again (if you had the choice).  But I realize I have strayed from the topic, so thanks OnMyWay for the tip.  Interesting topic.  I will try to find it at the food store. :cheersty:

I member of a FB group called Carnivore For Beginners.  98,000 members posting about eating meat and eggs.  Some also eat cheese.  Some chicken.  Some, like me, are more "Ketovore".  Mostly beef, pork, some good veggies, cheese and I just added some unsweetend Greek yogurt.  No added sugar, no breads, no pastas, etc.

There is a lot of discussion on grassfed vs. grainfed.  Apparently, there is also grass raised grain finished, to fatten them up.  Most of the expert doctors on the subject recommend grassfed beef and butter.  I think the reasoning is (may be backed by studies) that the grains and their side effects are going to end up in your body.  However, in the U.S., grassfed is expensive and a lot of people can't afford it.  Also the fat content of grainfed is higher, which is desirable to this group.  And, the taste.

I have had several types of grassfed over the years.  I still prefer grainfed for the taste.

The group is U.S. centric but has members from all over the world.  A guy in Zamboanga just posted a picture of a grassfed beef steak that he thinks was raised around CDO.  Does not look tasty to me!

Update on that South East Asian (Zamboanga Philippines) beef ribeye.  It was surprisingly good!

302243968_6039497346066978_529147298560268033_n.jpg

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

My friend in NY City posted this a few days ago!  Hilarious!  The guy just stands there eating his kabob and enjoying!

In front of Nike in #NYC where animal rights activists were rallying in front. A man comes off the streets and starts mocking the activists and eats Shushka Bob in front of the activists. Activists start yelling at the man#pita #animals pic.twitter.com/puQ1I9EJlV

— Viral News NY (@ViralNewsNYC) August 27, 2022

• Haha 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

My friend in NY City posted this a few days ago!  Hilarious!  The guy just stands there eating his kabob and enjoying!

There has been numerous anthropology studies about when and where did it all started.  Even among the prehistoric caveman, there were some that went vegan.  Why?

They couldn't hunt worth a shit.   

Edited by Jake
  • Haha 3

Gator
Posted
Posted

#PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

A friend of my father invited us for dinner with the restaurant featuring the best steak tartare.  It was like one of those flambe' shows where a senior waiter brings to your table the finest ground beef, herbs & spices, raw eggs, etc. and prepares everything in front of you.  It is then divided into portions, served using fine China with crisp triangle shaped bread.  It is meant to be eaten raw.  Our host looks at the waiter and says, "Please take it back to the kitchen and make them into hamburgers."  The waiter, who was from Belgium, looked shocked but did as he was told.  Excellent burgers.  The fries were served with mayonnaise rather than ketchup.

• Love it 1
  • Haha 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Prime.  Choice.  Select. 

The basic grades of beef can be a bit confusing since the main difference is the amount of fat or marbling.  Then there is the aging process including the number of days used in the process.  While only 2% of beef is Prime, prices are premium (expensive).  I kind of don't mind the extra cost because the meat is more tender.  However, Prime is increasingly difficult to find since most of it are purchased by restaurants and specialty butchers.   Looking forward to steakhouses in the Philippines.  Their primary source for beef is Australia and prices at restaurant seems to be lower than the United States.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Their primary source for beef is Australia and prices at restaurant seems to be lower than the United States.  

Most of the good restos around our area advertise USDA, so I assume that actually is US meat???

There are a lot of online options now.  Some of my neighbors said this Aussie ribeye is good.  I will probably try a kilo.  p1400 delivered.

https://www.facebook.com/NightOwlFoodandBeverage/

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

In front of Nike in #NYC where animal rights activists were rallying in front. A man comes off the streets and starts mocking the activists and eats Shushka Bob in front of the activists. Activists start yelling at the man#pita #animals pic.twitter.com/puQ1I9EJlV

— Viral News NY (@ViralNewsNYC) August 27, 2022

What happened to the link?

• Like 1