Kirkland Lean Ground Beef

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

my job was to hunt the feral chickens with a shotgun.  My father had a Jewish chicken soup recipe and the hens made for a delicious soup.  The meat was firmer possibly from the exercise.

JJ.. Perhaps those chickens were a might tough because of the shotgun pellets?:89:

• Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

JJ.. Perhaps those chickens were a might tough because of the shotgun pellets?:89:

The staff who removed the feathers and guts were taught to remove the pellets from inside the skin punctures.  The tougher meat allowed the chicken to cook longer resulting in a better flavor.  Mass produced poultry are more tender because they can't move.  A few minutes after boiling starts, the meat begins to fall apart.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

The staff who removed the feathers and guts were taught to remove the pellets from inside the skin punctures.  The tougher meat allowed the chicken to cook longer resulting in a better flavor.  Mass produced poultry are more tender because they can't move.  A few minutes after boiling starts, the meat begins to fall apart.  

Agreed... And I learned a tidbit a while ago online. If you buy chicken and the legs are broken, it is likely because the birds were packed together so tightly in their pens. It makes me not really want to eat commercial poultry...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I had a craving for steak yesterday... That's bull. 

:smile:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

Maybe dry aged and imported from either USA or Australia?   If not a dry aged prime cut, definitely a rip off. 

My nephew suspects this restaurant caters to Japanese, Korean and Chinese tourists.  The clientele shows up with a guide or taxi driver to introduce them to their "friend" who is the restaurant manager.  They return later to collect a commission, usually 30% to 50%.  Tourists are fair game because they are not familiar with local prices, making them vulnerable to being rip-off.  I don't know the quality since we walked out after seeing the inflated prices.

• Sad 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My nephew suspects this restaurant caters to Japanese, Korean and Chinese tourists.  The clientele shows up with a guide or taxi driver to introduce them to their "friend" who is the restaurant manager.  They return later to collect a commission, usually 30% to 50%.  Tourists are fair game because they are not familiar with local prices, making them vulnerable to being rip-off.  I don't know the quality since we walked out after seeing the inflated prices.

So what’s the name of the restaurant? 

Wolfgang's is very popular just now in Manila but it’s not geared towards tourists. 
The Porterhouse is 8,976php

https://main.wolfgangssteakhouse.ph/

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Gas said:

Wolfgang's is very popular just now in Manila but it’s not geared towards tourists. 
The Porterhouse is 8,976php

https://main.wolfgangssteakhouse.ph/

I see on the menu that their beef is from USA and dry aged.  Were I in Manila this might be something I would try one time.  Kind of a bucket list item as Wolfgang carries quite a strong reputation as a chef.  

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I see on the menu that their beef is from USA and dry aged.  Were I in Manila this might be something I would try one time.  Kind of a bucket list item as Wolfgang carries quite a strong reputation as a chef.  

One of our kids asked me a few ago if we had been to Wolfgangs, as she had seen her friends eating at the restaurant. 
She is over in February for a friends wedding, so will make her treat us! 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Yeah but, eating at Wolfgangs in Manila is quite a scam.  Better off to try it some place else.  Rich Filipinos taking selfies and pictures of the resto and food.  The ribeye is $100.  In New York it is $76.  All about status symbols.  There are plenty of places where you can get a great quality steak for a lot less.

https://wolfgangssteakhouse.net/menus/

I had the opportunity to eat some very expensive steaks in my younger years, but they were all on the company dime, not mine.  In the 80's, there were no rules on expenses, literally.  The company had more work and income than they could handle.  I remember my first big meeting in New York.  Probably 40 attendees at a really nice steakhouse.  Order anything you want and a manager would expense it.  Other nights, similar, but you expense it yourself.

At a resto, on my dime, I will pick something more reasonable, once in a great while.  At home, something like this is just fine for me.  This will be two meals.

316702496_1148920812653272_2410184269957900246_n.jpg

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gas said:

Sorry.  The commentary is negative and it's best not to mention the name.  In the United States, there are known cases of restaurant and AirBNB owners threatening to sue or filing lawsuits for negative reviews.  They ask that you remove the online content and pay monetary restitution.  Being right or wrong has nothing to do with it.   Lots of mean people out there.