PNP monthly check on foreigner's

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Peaceful John said:

I guess I'm wondering how they would even know where you lived?  What does the PNP have that tells them where we live?

Bamboo telegraph.  Everyone knows where the foreigners live.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

Never heard of this before ! Been here now for 11yrs only time the police came to our house was regarding the late policeman brothers pension details !

Next time he comes ask him for his id and then go to the local police office to see if he really is a police officer .

The forms do not have any PNP logos etc ,

and nearly all of the info asked for is in the immigration computer system

It's definitely the local plod and this time around it was a different one... As for logo's, I was shocked they had a coloured printer lol

If they do come back for the form and I'm actually home...I'll see if he's brought a pen... 

Colsie
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Old55 said:

Define Cousin. 

The gene pool isn't that big here... So virtually anyone in this part of Eastern Samar :hystery:

• Haha 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, hk blues said:

Something smells fishy. I wonder why your GF is just telling you now that it was her cousin?  I wonder why it was her cousin who came - quite a coincidence I'd say. Maybe the family trying to get some intelligence on you, Colsie?

Just one of many curious things that happen here when it comes to bureaucracy and likely nothing to it but...

Hahaha...intelligence and family in the same sentence...we'll cross that scenario off the list quiet easily... 

Bureaucracy maybe... 

• Haha 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Peaceful John said:

I guess I'm wondering how they would even know where you lived?  What does the PNP have that tells them where we live?

I live here, go get groceries in the village, walk the dog up the road and back, go cycling through the place all the time... Been here for years now...not too mention fiestas... It not a big place... There's an expat just up the road from me and flies a huge St George flag in his front garden... So I'm guessing he's English...its not a city here and us expats are noticeable... 

Colsie
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Any person related by blood or marriage or political affiliation.  It is based on a patronage system for mutual benefit and protection.  A well-organized group will have military personnel, police officers, lawyers, doctors, nurses, government officials, educators, etc.  If you encounter problems with the law, a police officer cousin is expected to take care of it.  Your role as a rich foreigner is financial.  This may include paying for the education of a poor cousin or buying food for a family get together.  

All true...and don't forget tindahans or sari sari stores, families in a particular barangay are partisan in their partronage of which shops to spend money in lol... 

Colsie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

Very well said JJ. It may also include foreigners paying (or at least expected to pay) for medical emergencies and funerals. 

I can work with expected...did I mention my finely honed problem solving skills developed and enhanced after over one and half decades of exposure to the Philippines... 

I can categorise most problems instantly into the "not my problem" basket...the trickier ones, I can fain a concerning and sympathetic interest while quickly suggesting some other sucker to pass their problem onto...its a skill worth nurturing...

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Bamboo telegraph.  Everyone knows where the foreigners live.

Yep...we're in the houses that don't have a Christmas Tree up in September! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Colsie said:

I can work with expected...did I mention my finely honed problem solving skills developed and enhanced after over one and half decades of exposure to the Philippines... 

I can categorise most problems instantly into the "not my problem" basket...the trickier ones, I can fain a concerning and sympathetic interest while quickly suggesting some other sucker to pass their problem onto...its a skill worth nurturing...

Indeed.

The day all the family work for a living is the day I will contribute to unexpected family expenses.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 9/1/2022 at 7:14 AM, JJReyes said:

Any person related by blood or marriage or political affiliation.  It is based on a patronage system for mutual benefit and protection.  A well-organized group will have military personnel, police officers, lawyers, doctors, nurses, government officials, educators, etc.  If you encounter problems with the law, a police officer cousin is expected to take care of it.  Your role as a rich foreigner is financial.  This may include paying for the education of a poor cousin or buying food for a family get together.  

:laugh: It's funny because its true.