Tin roofs

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Are there any members who owns or rents a house where the rooms in the single storey house you can see the tin roof and wooden joist, in other words no ceilings in each room.

Would this make the house so hot plus noisy if it was raining , so what could you do , put false ceilings in but could you also insulate the space between the roof and the false ceiling and what could you use to do this .

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Tin roofs or galvanized sheets originated from the US army who used them to build (assemble and disassemble) Quonset huts use for supplies and housing soldiers.  After WWII, several factories were given to the Philippines as reparation.  They are awful.  The traditional roofing material is cogon grass, but it is highly flammable.  There is now a material made with plastic that replaces cogon grass.  It is not flammable.  The more expensive and heavier roofing material is Spanish tile.  The new version is made of waterproof concrete instead of clay.

Best way to insulate against the heat and noise from rain is a false ceiling.  Unfortunately, this seems to attract rats and, in turn, snakes.  I heard there is now a plastic version to replace galvanized sheets that is cooler and more durable (won't rust).

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

Are there any members who owns or rents a house where the rooms in the single storey house you can see the tin roof and wooden joist, in other words no ceilings in each room.

Would this make the house so hot plus noisy if it was raining , so what could you do , put false ceilings in but could you also insulate the space between the roof and the false ceiling and what could you use to do this .

I've built and lived in a wooden house as you've described before building a concrete house, with concrete roof... The wooden house was way cooler than the concrete house...as for noise from the rain, never bothered me compared to the roosters and neighbours kareoke at 4am... 

Any false ceiling would be a magnet to rats, bats and snakes... 

I was staying in a place in Bohol a few weeks ago and they had quite an engenius way of installing the steel roofing sheet with hardiflex sheeting on the inside fixed together onto the roof joists...not sure if they'd sandwiched insulation layer between the outer steel or inner hardiflex but interior ceiling looked great and noise from heavy rain was much quieter...and no room for pests 

20220724_113743.jpg

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Colsie said:

I've built and lived in a wooden house as you've described before building a concrete house, with concrete roof... The wooden house was way cooler than the concrete house...as for noise from the rain, never bothered me compared to the roosters and neighbours kareoke at 4am... 

I was staying in a place in Bohol a few weeks ago and they had quite an engenius way of installing the steel roofing sheet with hardiflex sheeting on the inside fixed together onto the roof joists...not sure if they'd sandwiched insulation layer between the outer steel or inner hardiflex but interior ceiling looked great and noise from heavy rain was much quieter...and no room for pests 

20220724_113743.jpg

Thank you ,That looks like a great idea 

Edited by stevewool

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, stevewool said:

plus noisy if it was raining

For what its worth Steve, we have the normal "tin" roof with and attic and normal insulation and the rain still wakes me up during a downpour. At least you would not have to look outside to see if its raining :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Colsie said:

20220724_113743.jpg

We're replacing our roof in the near future, we may have to look into this.  We're going from a "classic" look I guess with a false ceiling to one on a 10 degree angle to maximise the planned solar panels and maybe put the water tank up there to assist the gravity feed rather than a tower.  The new roof will be steel framed.  

@stevewool yes our tin roof with false ceiling is a little  noisy in the rain but I don't mind that.  Haven't spotted any rats but some stray cast took up residence up there...  Quite the achievement considering it's a 2 storey house.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Haven't spotted any rats

It amazed me that the rats chewed up the corner of the tin roof to get it to lift up enough so they could get in.  They got poisoned for their efforts but still surprising the lengths they will go to find a home.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We have 2 metal roofs over our terrace and front garden.  Steel framed with hardiflex ceiling.  For sure, when it's a heavy downfall you will get noise even with the hardiflex but, as some have already said, noise is common here regardless.  We don't have a rat or snake problem but they are exterior roofs and we have 3 cats.

In all honesty, If I was doing it again I'd choose clay/concrete tiles - more expensive (not much though as we'd already invested in steel frame) but I feel less prone to issues.  Or, the better quality PVC material now available.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

My roof needs a paint job, I would have painted myself but it's 50 ft up.

278495041_1398945630533705_3452231407837284326_n.jpg

stevewool
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, jimeve said:

My roof needs a paint job, I would have painted myself but it's 50 ft up.

278495041_1398945630533705_3452231407837284326_n.jpg

That looks like a big job ,