Tin roofs

baronapart
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, stevewool said:

That looks like a big job , 

37 minutes ago, jimeve said:

My roof needs a paint job, I would have painted myself but it's 50 ft up.

278495041_1398945630533705_3452231407837284326_n.jpg

It's a nice view if you have to do it though...

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, jimeve said:

In my younger days I'd have been up there brush in hand but as I've gotten older I've developed a slight fear of heights.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, hk blues said:

In my younger days I'd have been up there brush in hand but as I've gotten older I've developed a slight fear of heights.

I'm 68 years old with problems with my balance. I was a painter and decorator in my younger days. Not going to risk my life, Will let some younger guys do that paint job but how do you ask them to do it proper, seen their work and it's piss poor at best.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

I'm 68 years old with problems with my balance. I was a painter and decorator in my younger days. Not going to risk my life, Will let some younger guys do that paint job but how do you ask them to do it proper, seen their work and it's piss poor at best.

I hear you. I'm a wee bit younger than you but no way I'm getting on a tin roof under the sun to paint.

I suppose the only thing you can do is see if anyone can recommend a painter. I will say this, of all the trades I've hired here the painters haven't been a problem compared to others. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, jimeve said:

Will let some younger guys do that paint job but how do you ask them to do it proper, seen their work and it's piss poor at best.

Maybe drive around and see if you can find what appears to be a well painted roof, then stop and get names?

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

An alternative to tin roofs in onduline. It's a type of fibre roof with excellent thermal and waterproof qualities with a 15yr life span. My mate just fitted it to his cottage and in a heavy downpour it's silent and in the heat of the day the room is still cool, best of all you can cut it with a wood saw. 

https://ph.onduline.com/en/homeowner/inspiration/videos/how-install-onduline-roofing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scooter
Posted
Posted
On 9/3/2022 at 8:22 PM, jimeve said:

Want a hand? Well first question . Where are you living ?

• 2 months later...
Peter Magnolia
Posted
Posted
On 9/2/2022 at 10:36 AM, stevewool said:

Are there any members who owns or rents a house where the rooms in the single storey house you can see the tin roof and wooden joist, in other words no ceilings in each room.

Would this make the house so hot plus noisy if it was raining , so what could you do , put false ceilings in but could you also insulate the space between the roof and the false ceiling and what could you use to do this .

I do not currently reside in the Islands but thought your post was interesting. I have lived under tin roofs in SE Asia and can attest to the fact that it is the only way to truly appreciate a tropical rain storm for what it is. The heat is another matter. What I have seen in some places is a sort of quilt made of burlap other fabric attached to the underside of the metal sheets which will act as an insulating barrier during the hottest part of the day and prevent the heat from radiating down upon you. It is not necessary to install a proper ceiling in order to accomplish this. Any barrier between the metal sheets and your living area will suffice in blocking the bothersome infra red radiation which is what it is. Regards.  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Our house has a tin roof and we had to replace the roofing and ceilings due to typhoon damage (wind & rain) last year.  The roof was replaced with longspan.  When the workers removed the old ceiling the house turned into an oven.  We decided to add the thin foam and foil insulation before putting the ceiling back up.  This is the insulation that comes in large rolls, about 1 meter wide, and maybe one cm thick, white foam with a foil coating on one side.  The insulation is now up and half the house has new ceilings.  The half with insulation and a ceiling is much cooler than where the ceiling has not been installed.

No ceiling, no insulation = oven

Ceiling = better (ours is 1/2 inch marine plywood treated with salignum then painted)

Ceiling plus insulation = best and still be affordable

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 9/6/2022 at 2:28 PM, Snowy79 said:

An alternative to tin roofs in onduline. It's a type of fibre roof with excellent thermal and waterproof qualities with a 15yr life span. My mate just fitted it to his cottage and in a heavy downpour it's silent and in the heat of the day the room is still cool, best of all you can cut it with a wood saw. 

https://ph.onduline.com/en/homeowner/inspiration/videos/how-install-onduline-roofing

I believe that is the same material we used to roof over our small lanai. It is soft, quiet and insulating. Our concern is about the longevity... It is soft and needs lots of support to keep it in place and properly situated. So far, so good. We found this at Citi Hardware a year ago - I have no idea about the price...

• Like 1