Tin roofs

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I believe that is the same material we used to roof over our small lanai. It is soft, quiet and insulating. Our concern is about the longevity... It is soft and needs lots of support to keep it in place and properly situated. So far, so good. We found this at Citi Hardware a year ago - I have no idea about the price...

It helps if the person installing it knows what they are doing. My friend was talked into it by a fellow expat and I did my homework. Very long lasting and very easy to install so he went ahead. 

If only we had took Filipino workmanship into consideration. I've been out to fix leaks about 4 times. They installed it with next to no slope. Fitted it like a jigsaw and filled the gaps in with mastic and expanding foam which the ants loved. The also walked over it with no boards to spread the weight and used about 3 times as many scews as required with no sealing washers, then used plumbers cement over the screw heads which just cracked.  

It is very sound proof and doesn't trap the best like tin roofs though. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

If only we had took Filipino workmanship into consideration. I've been out to fix leaks about 4 times. They installed it with next to no slope. Fitted it like a jigsaw and filled the gaps in with mastic and expanding foam which the ants loved. The also walked over it with no boards to spread the weight and used about 3 times as many scews as required with no sealing washers, then used plumbers cement over the screw heads which just cracked.  

Yeah... we have had similar issues with our so-called "normal" tin roof... I really don't wish to denigrate Filipino workmanship... however we have only found a few individuals with reasonable skills with electricity, plumbing, roofing, masonry, painting... The basic standards seem to be get it done as easily as possible, then run away from it... Sorry... but even L, my Filipina partner agrees.... And anything seems to be able to be fixed with cement...!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

It helps if the person installing it knows what they are doing. My friend was talked into it by a fellow expat and I did my homework. Very long lasting and very easy to install so he went ahead. 

It is very sound proof and doesn't trap the best like tin roofs though. 

We have 2 longspan roofs over our front garden and upstairs terrace.  I had read up on the common issues and the most common one was leaks through the fittings.  They should use a special type of screw which has a sealing washer.  The problem is the screw has to be fitted exactly right to seal against the washer and it's frequently not the case.  I asked the contractor to run a bead of sealant around each fitting on the inside.  2 years and no leaks through the fittings but I cannot say no leaks anywhere! 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

This is the insulation that comes in large rolls, about 1 meter wide, and maybe one cm thick, white foam with a foil coating on one side

I've seem it in several hardware stores, including ACE.  It comes in various thicknesses and two formats - one as you describe and a more expensive one with foil on both sides which keeps hot air and cold air in/out.  

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

We have 2 longspan roofs over our front garden and upstairs terrace.  I had read up on the common issues and the most common one was leaks through the fittings.  They should use a special type of screw which has a sealing washer.  The problem is the screw has to be fitted exactly right to seal against the washer and it's frequently not the case.  I asked the contractor to run a bead of sealant around each fitting on the inside.  2 years and no leaks through the fittings but I cannot say no leaks anywhere! 

I ended up getting bitumen tape with the silver foil cover and cutting squares of it to completely cover every screw with an overlap of about 4cm, a few hours of my life I'll never get back. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I ended up getting bitumen tape with the silver foil cover and cutting squares of it to completely cover every screw with an overlap of about 4cm, a few hours of my life I'll never get back. 

We were lucky that we were able to seal from under before the ceiling was installed.  I've seen something similar to what you describe but only in the UK.