Rental Car Insurance

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I have a mate and his family arriving to visit in December from Australia.  They're looking into car rentals for the duration but as with pre-pandemic neither of us can find any with anything other than third-party.  Is there a way to obtain full comprehensive insurance for a rental car in PI through travel insurance etc?

I know about 3 years ago, before I moved here full-time, that AM and I looked into it but it wasn't possible and am just wondering if that's changed.  Based on what AM and I found, we decided not to worry about it and just triked and bused everywhere when we weren't flying. 

Just as an aside, I used to work with the guy coming to visit before I retired, funny thing is his wife is from the same place as mine is, the town we're living in now.  No they didn't know each other growing up, there's an age difference and Guihulgnan isn't that small.  And no, they weren't introduced through us or vice versa.  Small world.   

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I have a mate and his family arriving to visit in December from Australia.  They're looking into car rentals for the duration but as with pre-pandemic neither of us can find any with anything other than third-party.  Is there a way to obtain full comprehensive insurance for a rental car in PI through travel insurance etc?

I know about 3 years ago, before I moved here full-time, that AM and I looked into it but it wasn't possible and am just wondering if that's changed.  Based on what AM and I found, we decided not to worry about it and just triked and bused everywhere when we weren't flying. 

Just as an aside, I used to work with the guy coming to visit before I retired, funny thing is his wife is from the same place as mine is, the town we're living in now.  No they didn't know each other growing up, there's an age difference and Guihulgnan isn't that small.  And no, they weren't introduced through us or vice versa.  Small world.   

Does he know how to drive on the correct side of the road?  My wife's sister and BIL are visiting next week from NZ.  I offered to let BIL drive one of my cars but after living in NZ for 15+ years, he is scared of driving on the correct side of the road.  My wife's brother lives in AU and he is the same now.

By coincidence, a neighbor was asking about renting in our FB group.  One of the recommendations was "make sure the owner shows you the comprehensive insurance policy".  Is that realistic?  I don't know.  I rented a car a few times when I first moved here and I have no idea it there was ANY insurance.  Others mentioned that it is common for the car owner to try and ding you for damage, so it is important to do a thorough inspection including pictures.

I think getting comprehensive when renting from a small outfit or individual might be difficult.  Perhaps they should stick with one of the major car rentals companies and buy the insurance as part of the rental contract.  There are several majors operating here.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Does he know how to drive on the correct side of the road?  My wife's sister and BIL are visiting next week from NZ.  I offered to let BIL drive one of my cars but after living in NZ for 15+ years, he is scared of driving on the correct side of the road.  My wife's brother lives in AU and he is the same now.

By coincidence, a neighbor was asking about renting in our FB group.  One of the recommendations was "make sure the owner shows you the comprehensive insurance policy".  Is that realistic?  I don't know.  I rented a car a few times when I first moved here and I have no idea it there was ANY insurance.  Others mentioned that it is common for the car owner to try and ding you for damage, so it is important to do a thorough inspection including pictures.

I think getting comprehensive when renting from a small outfit or individual might be difficult.  Perhaps they should stick with one of the major car rentals companies and buy the insurance as part of the rental contract.  There are several majors operating here.

Thanks mate, good advice, My friend's name is coincidentally Don.  Anyway, DonAU has visited many times and had no issues on a bike before they had kids, same as me living in the US for as long as I did has held me in good stead when I finally did drive here for the first time.  Well as good as it could be considering the roads, drivers etc here.  Ok, I was used to driving on the "other" side of the road and that's it.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

hey're looking into car rentals for the duration but as with pre-pandemic neither of us can find any with anything other than third-party.  Is there a way to obtain full comprehensive insurance for a rental car in PI through travel insurance etc?

I mis-read your question.  Have you tried the majors?  I have a couple insurance contacts in Angeles, if you want to ask them.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

I’ve used a small car rental company in Cebu (across from the Radison Blu) called “Saferide.ph” a few times and they do have insurance on their vehicles. I’m not affiliated with them in any way. Their website is a bit quirky though. Cars were mostly all late model Toyotas, in good condition and well maintained. 

https://www.saferide.ph/

Another thing to consider, and inquire about, is whether your credit card company will provide insurance if you use it to rent a car. I know in the USA many credit card companies offer it. 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I mis-read your question.  Have you tried the majors?  I have a couple insurance contacts in Angeles, if you want to ask them.

They're flying into Dumaguete so no majors available there.  I'll keep it in mind on the contacts.  

3 minutes ago, Gator said:

I’ve used a small car rental company in Cebu (across from the Radison Blu) called “Saferide.ph” a few times and they do have insurance on their vehicles. I’m not affiliated with them in any way. Their website is a bit quirky though. Cars were mostly all late model Toyotas, in good condition and well maintained. 

https://www.saferide.ph/

Another thing to consider, and inquire about, is whether your credit card company will provide insurance if you use it to rent a car. I know in the USA many credit card companies offer it. 

Thanks Gator, I'll pass the link on, Cebu isn't that far from Guihulgnan so may be an option for them.  Good idea with the credit card company.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

They're flying into Dumaguete so no majors available there.  I'll keep it in mind on the contacts.  

Thanks Gator, I'll pass the link on, Cebu isn't that far from Guihulgnan so may be an option for them.  Good idea with the credit card company.  

That website says Saferide is in Dumaguete.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

That website says Saferide is in Dumaguete.

Yeah, just spotted that myself. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Is there a way to obtain full comprehensive insurance for a rental car in PI through travel insurance etc?

Personally, I would not bother.  But on the off chance it might help I asked our friendly Sir Google.  Have you looked at this one?
https://www.rentalcover.com/en/worldwide/car-rental-insurance-philippines

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Personally, I would not bother.  But on the off chance it might help I asked our friendly Sir Google.  Have you looked at this one?
https://www.rentalcover.com/en/worldwide/car-rental-insurance-philippines

Thanks Dave, I'll pass it on.