Rental Car Insurance

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 9/6/2022 at 9:03 AM, OnMyWay said:

Does he know how to drive on the correct side of the road?

Do you mean that does he know that the Philippines and USA drive on the wrong side of the road? Anyway if Bretts friend cant handle driving on the incorrect side he can take a trip to Thailand where they also drive on the correct side. They even put the steering wheel on the correct side there. 

:popcorn:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Do you mean that does he know that the Philippines and USA drive on the wrong side of the road? Anyway if Bretts friend cant handle driving on the incorrect side he can take a trip to Thailand where they also drive on the correct side. They even put the steering wheel on the correct side there. 

Majority rules!  Also of note is that the people living in those blue countries also talk funny!  :hystery:

Screenshot (754).png

• Haha 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I always thought those who drive on the left side were driving on the wrong side as those who drive on the right are right. 🤣 

• Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My preference in the Philippines is to rent a car with driver whenever needed.  This means no worries about minor or major collision damage, moving violations and finding parking.  Major rental companies have a huge markup, but there are independently owned businesses that are more reasonable.  One funny car rental story.

I got a taxi and loaded two large suitcases with presents from the US for an orphanage in Quezon City.  The directions were vague, so I got down and walked around the block looking for the correct address.  It dawned on me that the two suitcases were still in the car and the driver could easily have taken off.  But he was still there waiting for me.  An honest driver.  I decided to hire him for the next three days.  

When we went to Alabang Village to visit my brother's family, security at the gate wouldn't let us enter.  The driver had an expired license.  The guards even called their security chief to explain the rules to me.  Stalemate.  I said, "The cab driver is not allowed to drive.  I have an American license (showed it to him) which mean I can drive the cab, right?"  A shocked look as the security chief answered, "Yes sir.  But...." What he was trying to say that the unwritten rule is I should not drive while the cab driver rides as my passenger.  We took off before the security chief could recover.  After our vehicle was no longer visible from the gate, we exchanged seats while laughing our heads off. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

This means no worries about minor or major collision damage, moving violations and finding parking.

I agree about the parking, but for all the rest the driver will turn to you with his hand out.  Its up to you to pay the bills when you rent a car and driver, or such has been my experience.  EDIT:  The exception seems to be hiring a licensed taxi as the taxi company must have their own insurance coverage.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I agree about the parking, but for all the rest the driver will turn to you with his hand out.  Its up to you to pay the bills when you rent a car and driver, or such has been my experience.  EDIT:  The exception seems to be hiring a licensed taxi as the taxi company must have their own insurance coverage.

This happened to us in Myanmar of all places.  The cab was stopped by a traffic cop and the driver paid the required "fine."

I'm pretty sure it was a scam between the driver and traffic cop but hey ho it's another story to tell and at $5 it wasn't a big deal.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

On a previous occasion, I hired a car and driver and there was a minor accident on our return to the hotel.  It was more a fender bender.  While the two drivers argued and waited for the police, I got a taxi to take me back.  Never heard from them again.  Never did ask if the company had insurance.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

This happened to us in Myanmar of all places.  The cab was stopped by a traffic cop and the driver paid the required "fine."

I'm pretty sure it was a scam between the driver and traffic cop but hey ho it's another story to tell and at $5 it wasn't a big deal.

The traffic officers stopped my taxi for making an illegal left turn.  The sign was visible provided an officer or pedestrian was not standing in front of it.  This was in Cubao which is usually packed with people.  He settled the problem with "merienda" money.  Looking despondent, I ask him, "How much?"  The P200 settlement was a lot of money for a driver working on the boundary system.  I handed him P100 and said, "I will pay for half."  Was he happy.

• Like 2