coming in with cash thats over the limit

sanagimo
Posted
Posted

Ive gone into Canada transparent of the cash I was holding and explained Ive been living in Japan for many years and there were no problems. 

What about the Philippines? Lets say you wanna enter with a couple million peso. Obviously hiding and getting caught is not an option. I know you have to declare anything over a half mill. What happens when you are up front that its your savings and you want to lets say buy a condo.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, sanagimo said:

Ive gone into Canada transparent of the cash I was holding and explained Ive been living in Japan for many years and there were no problems. 

What about the Philippines? Lets say you wanna enter with a couple million peso. Obviously hiding and getting caught is not an option. I know you have to declare anything over a half mill. What happens when you are up front that its your savings and you want to lets say buy a condo.

As far as I'm aware, you can bring in as much as you like (probably within reason) but anything above $10,000 or equivalent has to be declared.  I wouldn't have thought a sum enough to buy a home would arouse any suspicion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

As far as I'm aware, you can bring in as much as you like (probably within reason) but anything above $10,000 or equivalent has to be declared.  I wouldn't have thought a sum enough to buy a home would arouse any suspicion.

No, that was discussed in another thread.  Read Hounddriver's post.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I would be nervous as hell if I carried and reported that sum of money.  How many people would then know.  Are you setting yourself up to robbed.  I would figure some way to transfer from an outside account into the Philippines rather than carry the cash.  Maybe that is just me being too cautious? 

It is apparently illegal anyway, but I'm with you!  One phone call from a corrupt official and your life is on the line.

Full story with videos.  I have a friend who live about a mile from here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11178511/Shocking-moment-Mercedes-driving-thug-rams-SUV-beating-window-HAMMER.html?ito=facebook_share_article-facebook_preferred-floatingbar

Brazen thieves in $150,000 Mercedes ram SUV on to Manhattan sidewalk before smashing window with GUN and snatching $20,000 in cash in scenes straight out of Grand Theft Auto

• The scene shocked bystanders on Second Avenue an 91 street around 4:40 pm Saturday when two cars came speeding down the wrong side of the road
  • The video clip captured by a bystander shows the car being driven by the victim, a Silver Toyota Rav-4, zooming down the avenue at high speeds
  • Eventually it is overtaken by a Mercedes being driven by the suspects, which slams into the SUV, causing it to spin out, as the driver continues to try to escape
  • At that point, the Mercedes driver again steps on the gas and pushes the other car up onto the sidewalk, where another chase ensued, causing onlookers to flee
  • A man armed with a handgun then exits the passenger side of the Mercedes, approaches the other vehicle, and snatches the stack of cash from the driver  
  • No injuries were reported as a result of the heist - the suspects are still at-large

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

No, that was discussed in another thread.  Read Hounddriver's post.

Yes, I wasn't explicit enough - I assumed he'd be bringing in foreign currency equivalent to 2m pesos.  Maybe wrongly.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sanagimo said:

Lets say you wanna enter with a couple million peso.

Actually, this is probably a moot scenario, because where would you find a couple of million peso outside the Philippines?

Our family is coming from NZ next week.  You can only find a few pesos in other countries, unless it was smuggled out of PH illegally. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Actually, this is probably a moot scenario, because where would you find a couple of million peso outside the Philippines?

Our family is coming from NZ next week.  You can only find a few pesos in other countries, unless it was smuggled out of PH illegally. 

Which is why I assumed he'd be bringing in foreign currency 

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

Make sure you bring new bills in, the slightest flaw or mark and they get rejected by the money changers.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Heeb said:

Make sure you bring new bills in, the slightest flaw or mark and they get rejected by the money changers.

I organize my foreign currency in envelopes supplied by my bank for that purpose.  One time I accidently ripped the envelope at the wrong place causing a tear through the bills.  Philippine money changer wouldn't touch it.  No problem with the US bank upon my return.  The money was redeposited into our account.

There was a news story some time ago about a Philippine business owner whose money was attacked by termites.  It took time, but the Bangko Sentral replaced all currency damaged at less than 40%.