Vegetable Oils

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Greglm said:

Maintaining a balanced healthy diet can be a challenge here.

And not just because of what isn't available, but also because what is available is generally unregulated with regards to pesticides, hormones, pollutants,etc.  Good thing they fill the aisles with imported goods.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

During our visits we don't see a good selection of fresh vegetables. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Old55 said:

During our visits we don't see a good selection of fresh vegetables

Most places I have lived, in the Philippines, have a particular public market where the freshest vegetables and best selections are.  In Cebu that would be Carbon Market.  Filipinas will often go there at ridiculous times in the morning, it opens at 5 am.  It used to be cheap, too.  But the old one burned down and the new building charges the stalls more rent so maybe not as good anymore.  I haven't been since the new one was built.  Anyone else been there?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Wife and I visited Carbon Market last July. But it was about noon. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Most places I have lived, in the Philippines, have a particular public market where the freshest vegetables and best selections are. 

In Moalboal it is the same.  Go to the merkado and find most of the fruit and vegetables you would need.  

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

In Moalboal it is the same.  Go to the merkado and find most of the fruit and vegetables you would need.  

Nobody can doubt the benefits of fresh fruit and veges (the magic pill)  Still what one can doubt is the sprays they use on same, especially in our area Canlaon. Apparently DDT is still in use. Of course unless one grows himself its impossible to ovoid, we soak all veges grown above ground, some fruits,  with baking soda for some hours before usage.

Not withstanding the revolting taste, following the advice of a Doctor friend turned wellness guru my biggest health advantage comes from Raw Cabbage juice. One can disguise the taste a little with pineapple of carrot. Since drinking this my health and general wellness has definitely improved

• Like 1

Major Tom
Posted
Posted (edited)

A bit off-topic, but I thought that a recent study was worth mentioning. A group of people who lived to be in their 90’s, 100’s (and beyond) were studied to determine the secret(s) to their longevity.

Most of the people studied were males, and they had very bad eating habits, plus many participants were also heavy cigarette smokers and heavy alcohol drinkers.

So, for what it’s worth, a healthy or unhealthy diet (as well as other unhealthy things) may have nothing  at all to do with how long you will live (providing you are not hit by a bus). 😂 

Edited by Major Tom
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Most places I have lived, in the Philippines, have a particular public market where the freshest vegetables and best selections are.  In Cebu that would be Carbon Market.  Filipinas will often go there at ridiculous times in the morning, it opens at 5 am.  It used to be cheap, too.  But the old one burned down and the new building charges the stalls more rent so maybe not as good anymore.  I haven't been since the new one was built.  Anyone else been there?

3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Yep.  We have a fairly large local market within walking distance which is good for meat, veg and fruit.  But, you do have to be up with the lark.  Interestingly, throughout Iloilo in the last couple of years there has been a programme of upgrading the public markets.  

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

I had the urge to make some chili so I went in search of beans. Kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans etc. SM supermarket, Robinson, fresh markets etc. Not available anywhere.  I showed pictures of what I was looking for to a few people and one helpful person said "Try Lazada" :no:

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

Nobody can doubt the benefits of fresh fruit and veges (the magic pill)  Still what one can doubt is the sprays they use on same, especially in our area Canlaon. Apparently DDT is still in use. Of course unless one grows himself its impossible to ovoid, we soak all veges grown above ground, some fruits,  with baking soda for some hours before usage.

Not withstanding the revolting taste, following the advice of a Doctor friend turned wellness guru my biggest health advantage comes from Raw Cabbage juice. One can disguise the taste a little with pineapple of carrot. Since drinking this my health and general wellness has definitely improved

I have a farm here and can confirm everything is absolutely drenched with pesticides in the Philippines:biggrin:. Especially anything that fruitflies like to attack (ampalaya, eggplant, mangoes etc)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1