Vegetable Oils

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

"Also had to put a fan in the kitchen and open the windows otherwise the steam from cooking was almost like teargas. 

And Mike, with all those beans and peppers, I'm sure the next morning brought on a lot more "tear gas".  :morning1::6:

• Haha 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Dave, I believe the difference in the oils is how they are extracted, as the usual seed oils are produced using chemical extraction and the chems end up in the oils as well as the type of fatty acids in those oils compared to olive oil.   Also,  from several things I've read on various studies are that some of the seed oils are reportedly rancid at some level by time reach the store.   For olive oils, I believe the good ones at least are pressed and that cold pressed is siupposed to be the best.  Read another article about a study awhile back about being careful with Olive oils because some are blending other oils in whether labeled as such or not.  The article went on to say that the oil they found most pure was the Kirkland organic(?) extra virgin olive oil at Costco.  I dunno, but I sure like olive oil personally and will be sending another monster sized bottle from Costco on my next trip to US. :morning1:

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Before the expressway went so far North towards Baguio, we had to drive on National Hwy for quite a distance.  Coming home, we used to laugh when we would see a big truck full of cabbage or veggies like that, and there would be a couple of guys riding on top of the veggies, usually lying down napping. (Quote) from On My way as the quote button not working.

We live in a tiny condo with an equally tiny terrace, hate insecticides and crazy prices as so m,any of us do.

All our salads (plus we give so many away), peepers, tomatoes plus a wide range of herbs are grown on the tiny terrace hydroponically, takes next to no time once set up,  My partner has a small aquamarine and utilizes the water for the hydroponics.  If we go away for a week no worries its all set up. 

Anyone can do it, many FB groups teaching how to set up. Nothing like picking fresh lettuce, parsley, Basel,  and within a few minutes in ones burger, in my case mostly a falafel  burger.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Nickleback99 said:

the oil they found most pure was the Kirkland organic(?) extra virgin olive oil at Costco.

That's great.  We shop at Costco so will give that a try next time.  Is there any discernable difference between regular, virgin, and extra virgin olive oil?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

I dunno, but I sure like olive oil personally and will be sending another monster sized bottle from Costco on my next trip to US. 

Caution!  I didn't know this but another member here warned me.  I posted that I bought a huge bottle of olive oil at S&R, and he said that it can go rancid.  Sure enough, it tastes terrible now and is just taking up shelf space.  I will stick with small bottles but better yet, I use butter or bacon grease for most things.

Found this at S&R today.  Most mayo here is terrible.

IMG20230129165240.jpg

IMG20230129165309.jpg

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

In layman's terms, why is it healthy to fry my bacon and eggs in olive oil and not in canola oil (for example)?

@davehoundriver

Did you watch the original video I posted?  That is a good start.  These two doctors cover it.  Many others on You Tube.

• Like 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That's great.  We shop at Costco so will give that a try next time.  Is there any discernable difference between regular, virgin, and extra virgin olive oil?

"Regardless of the type, olive oil is high in monounsaturated fatty acids, containing about 75% by volume. When substituted for saturated fat, monounsaturated fats help lower your "bad" LDL cholesterol. The health benefits of olive oil have been attributed to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties."     Straight fro Harvard ;-)  In layman's terms it has the good fat and helps lower bad cholesterol. Try to get virgin or extra virgin if you can. Kirkland brand is of excellent quality.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted

We use extra virgin oil, Had my annual heath check and my cholesterol level is very good, my sodium level was low also my platelet level was low, I know what the cause is it's my low carb high fat diet.

The doctor could not believe what I ate, she said how come your cholesterol level is normal and you eat all that fatty food. I tried to explain to her but she is an old skool doctor.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Caution!  I didn't know this but another member here warned me.  I posted that I bought a huge bottle of olive oil at S&R, and he said that it can go rancid.

A google search tells me "Most extra virgin olive oil lasts between 18 and 24 months because of the higher acid content. However, olive oil does start to degrade as soon as you open the bottle, so for optimal benefits and taste, it is best to use it within six months of opening the bottle."   Would you concur?  I ask because there is no way a bottle of oil would last 6 months the way my wife fries everything so that would be good.

9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Did you watch the original video I posted?

No.  I love it that members have the freedom to post videos when they want.  I also love it that I don't have to watch them. :hystery:  But it looks like I may have to take a look at the ones you posted.   EDIT  First one is too long, didn't watch, no time for dat.  I wanted a quick answer not a lecture.  Second video was not bad as I watched him on 1.5 speed.  I learned that the way I cook is fine.  I fry with lard.  Interesting as lard is just bacon fat and I thought that would be bad for me.  I also learned that my wife's cooking will kill me as she uses Canola oil.

So . . .  as long as the Costco olive oil will last at least 2 months after opening and not being refrigerated, (Filipina wife does not refrigerate oil) then I shall put some in the cart next time shopping and we're good.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So . . .  as long as the Costco olive oil will last at least 2 months after opening and not being refrigerated, (Filipina wife does not refrigerate oil) then I shall put some in the cart next time shopping and we're good.

I looked up the post on the Olive Oil.  It was in my Rates Are Up! topic. :smile:

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/32538-rates-are-up/?do=findComment&comment=313885

It was Member's Mark, not Kirkland.  I guess I bought it at that time, September 2022.  I told my wife to stop using it because there is a funny taste now.  I will go back to the Basso small bottles.

• Like 1