Queen Elizabeth's Death

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The Queen's passing resurrected an old debate whether the British monarchy should fade away.  The justification is the cost to taxpayers.  Another is the family being riddled with scandals although I consider their activities normal except in the old days it was kept away from the public eye.  What shocks me is the amount of press the royals generates in the United States.   I guess it's another form of entertainment.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

The Queen's passing resurrected an old debate whether the British monarchy should fade away.  The justification is the cost to taxpayers.  Another is the family being riddled with scandals although I consider their activities normal except in the old days it was kept away from the public eye.  What shocks me is the amount of press the royals generates in the United States.   I guess it's another form of entertainment.

No debate here,but I am sure you will get some media trying to get a story , yes you may get the young folk wanting something different , but ask them what and they will have no idea ,then you will get the folks who will say just like you have mentioned the family cost each tax payer to much and they would rather have the cash to spend on Sky, fags and a few tins .

I do like what we have here in England compared to other places in the world but that’s just me .

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JJReyes said:

What shocks me is the amount of press the royals generates in the United States.   I guess it's another form of entertainment.

There always seem to be folks in the US, maybe other countries as well, who have a desire to see the wealthy/powerful/glamorous in an unflattering light where personal flaws are exposed to the world.  The more embarrassing, the better.   I think that is the reality shows have become so popular.  Don't watch them myself, make enough mistakes in my own life.  Don't need to watch others to get advice. :hystery:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My sympathy goes out to anyone who loses a family member but there's a reason the Royal Family have a massive PR budget and secrecy laws.  There's enough division already in the World so maybe a good thing no one digs too deep.  Time to bury everything and just remember the good.  

• Like 1