Outdoor masking now optional

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, "P2" said:

Moderator moved to the Coronavirus Topic.  Please try to separate "Rona Rants from the topics at hand.  Thank You.

I'm fine that you're fine with it.... what I can't get my head around is why there are still some countries, Philippines included, that don't follow the science and are still mandating masks and vaccines that don't work. Have you noticed the drop in the value of the Philippine Peso? Do you wonder why that is? I'm no economist but, I'll bet that it has a lot to do with their draconian Covid policies. If the Philippines would open up and allow tourism again then more people would travel there and spend their money there thus growing their economy along with all the trade and commerce that goes along with it and prevent the peso from devaluing... eh, but what do I know.... 

Freedom to choose is a great thing, but as I see it, the Philippine people and those expats living there are not free to choose as you imply. The government tells you otherwise, regardless of what the science says. If your OK with that then, carry on. IMHO governments that govern using "fear" instead of facts are making "subjects" of their citizens. Just my opinion. Oh.... and don't forget to get your booster shot when the government tells you to, you know.... so you can do stuff there.

Lets not bother with debates as I will just shut the topics down. This is an expat forum so debates on other matters are not what this is about. Everyone is entitled to their opinions on what's right or wrong but take it to a covid forum or argue it out on the BI facebook comments but not here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Travelling around Boracay I'd safely say over 80% of the people are quite happily still wearing their masks even though the Mayor has also published an executive order giving people the options for outdoor wearing. Although I've removed mine most of the time I still don't mind popping it on now and again, especially when it's dusty.

I quizzed some of my mates that still wear them and they just say since they've worn them neither they or any family members have had even the flu which backs the science up and they don't mind them, maybe an Asian thing as before covid most Chinese and Japanese wore them anyway.  

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 9/15/2022 at 7:17 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

If you read the news Rama EO says everywhere and not just indoors. This is where the argument started so the IATF made recommendations to BO BO for no masks outdoors. Rama has not changed his EO yet and says he wont. Since about 2 weeks or since Ramas EO my GF does not have to wear a mask at work anymore and that policy still applies after the IATF ruling.  Again Ramas Executive order allowed for establishment's to make their own rules as to if they require mask. Cebu province had the no mask policy outdoors probably for 2 months. 

The fights between different sectors of goverment are over local goverment making EOs outside of the DOH or IATF rules.

On 9/14/2022 at 7:01 PM, Kingpin said:

Cebu province, not Cebu City, and indoors they are still required everywhere.

I forgot to add story to this post even though I thought I did. Getting old :mellow: This is when the EO first came out August 31. Full story in the link.

The mayor clarified that this order can apply both indoors and outdoors, but private institutions still have the discretion to require the wearing of face masks within their establishments. 

https://www.rappler.com/nation/visayas/mike-rama-makes-face-masks-optional-cebu-city/

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Travelling around Boracay I'd safely say over 80% of the people are quite happily still wearing their masks

Pretty much the same here. I hate wearing outside or when walking so take it off or hang around the double chin.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Just to clarify.  Outdoor masking is no longer a requirement throughout the Philippines.  Are local government units permitted to impose outdoor masking?

Are there any stipulations regarding the type or quality of the masks?  The synthetic fiber used by Chinese manufacturers for me causes rashes.  I buy and use cotton masks made in Japan that is triple layer.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Just to clarify.  Outdoor masking is no longer a requirement throughout the Philippines.

Correct

Are local government units permitted to impose outdoor masking?

Probably also correct - after all this is the Philippines. :whistling:

Are there any stipulations regarding the type or quality of the masks?

Anything that covers your nose and mouth is acceptable.  Many here are using single layer cotton masks because they last a long time and can be washed.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Mike.  Thanks for the information.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I was challenged in 7-11 for not wearing one.  I have seen the guards in SM tell people to put on their mask properly.  This was all in the past 7 days. 

I expect it will take some time for masks to be abolished completely in practice.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I was challenged in 7-11 for not wearing one.  I have seen the guards in SM tell people to put on their mask properly.  This was all in the past 7 days. 

I expect it will take some time for masks to be abolished completely in practice.

The "optional" mask is for outdoors.  Masking still required indoors.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Mike J said:

The "optional" mask is for outdoors.  Masking still required indoors.

LOL - that explains my confusion!