Senior discount card

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It would appear to be a usual grey area open to interpretation at best due to the inclusion of any resident citizen. Buyer beware again I'm afraid.

I've had an employee of the DSDW inform me that as I own a titled apartment and have an SRRV I'll be entitled on reaching the age of 60.

Obviously if as is the usual case I ask another employee no doubt I'll get a different answer.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Final thoughts - Consider this.  If the RA 9994 (signed into law 2010) gave foreign residents the rights to the benefits of RA 7432, why would there have been an attempt to allow foreign seniors to have those same benefits (RA 2832 in 2011 which never passed).  There would have been no reason to try and extend the benefits to foreigners if they were already entitled via RA 9994. 

As foreigners we are not allowed by law entitled to the senior discount.   We do a disservice to members and other expats by saying anything to the contrary.  

I agree.  I have looked at this up, down, backwards and forwards several times.  There are Permanent Residents who have the cards.  Probably some members here.  If I recall correctly, it was done at the barangay level and I'm fairly certain that some false statements would have to be made get the card.  Perhaps even the Filipina wife took care of everything without an appearance of the foreign spouse.  When we were in Cebu a few months ago, my wife got riled up again about me getting one because her cousin's friend's foreign husband got one.

On a positive note, some establishments will give you the discount without the senior card.  We went to Conti's yesterday for a birthday lunch.  Mine is the 15th, my wife is the 16th and my wife's visiting sister turned 60 on the 15th.  She asked about it and they said any valid id is fine (she is a NZ citizen now) but she forgot to bring an id.  I gave them mine and I got 96 pesos off of my meal!  :smile:  I liked the food at Conti's.  Everyone enjoyed their dishes.  And we bought a cake on the way out that was also excellent!

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 3

HappyJack
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Wow.  You definitely feel strongly about that.  What do you think of Section 3. Section 2 of Republic Act No. 7432, as amended by Republic Act No. 9257 that Snowy mentioned?  Is it still wrong in your opinion?  EDIT:  I am looking closer at Snowy's post

I see where they replaced the word Filipino with "any resident citizen" of the Philippines.  The words citizen of the Philippines means to me that immigrants who have become citizens can qualify but I do not see where it mentions citizens of other countries.  Can your provide more clarity?

I have managed large and small businesses here.  EVERY year I asked the BIR, just so I would be perfectly clear when telling employees AND customers the rules. Filipino citizens ONLY.  They receive 20% discount PLUS VAT so it is really 32%.  If you have a 13A or an SRRV you are a resident ALIEN, NOT a resident citizen.

The penalties for both the business and the foreigner are severe.  As I said before, asking for a discount is fine.  Pulling out that card, even if given to you by a local LGU, is not...ACCORDING TO THE BIR.

Article 24. PENALTIES - Any person who refuses to honor the senior citizen card or violates any provision of the Act and its Rules shall suffer the following penalties:

Section 1. For the first violation, a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (Php 50,000.00) but not exceeding One hundred thousand pesos (Php 100,000.00) and imprisonment for not less than two (2) years but not more than six (6) years; and

Section 2. For any subsequent violation, a fine of not less than One hundred thousand pesos (Php 100,000.00) but not exceeding Two hundred thousand pesos (Php 200,000.00) and imprisonment for not less than two (2) years but not more than six (6) years.

Section 3. Any person who abuses the privileges granted herein shall be punished with a fine of not less than fifty thousand pesos (Php 50,000.00) but not more than One hundred thousand pesos (Php 100,000.00) and imprisonment of not less than six (6) months.

Section 4. If the offender is an alien or a foreigner, he/she shall be deported immediately after service of sentence without further deportation proceedings.

Section 5. If the offender is a corporation, partnership, organization or any similar entity the officials thereof directly involved such as the president, general manager, managing partner, or such other officer charged with the management of the business affairs shall be liable therefor.

Section 6. Upon filing of an appropriate complaint, and after due notice and hearing, the proper authorities may also cause the cancellation or revocation of the business permit, permit to operate, franchise and other similar privileges granted to any person, establishment or business entity that fails to abide by the provisions of the Act and these Rules.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

As foreigners we are not allowed by law entitled to the senior discount.

As I read your post, even Filipinos are not allowed, by law, to the senior discount in the event they have relinquished residency or citizenship by moving to another country.  Does anyone here have any doubt that a Filipino, (over 60, who has emigrated, given up citizenship, and currently returned on a BB stamp for a year), would ever be turned down for a senior's card?  And if they would do that, why does it seem such a heinous crime if a white man does it?

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Ram1957 said:

If you are a senior citizen and living in the Philippines, and require a Philippine Senior Citizen card to live. You selected the wrong country to live in.

I don't think it's as much needing one as why not take advantage of saving a little so we can spend more on what we want i.e. every peso I save on my son's Big Mac is more I can spend on my San Migs! 

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

As I read your post, even Filipinos are not allowed, by law, to the senior discount in the event they have relinquished residency or citizenship by moving to another country.  Does anyone here have any doubt that a Filipino, (over 60, who has emigrated, given up citizenship, and currently returned on a BB stamp for a year), would ever be turned down for a senior's card?  And if they would do that, why does it seem such a heinous crime if a white man does it?

Yep.

I personally know one former citizen who is now a citizen of the US but was able to get a discount card under the table - she was quite open about this.  Her husband, an American, wasn't able to get one though.  That said, he claims that he is able to get the discount in places like cinemas etc.

Everything is possible - how many people here have PWD cards for example?  All is good until it isn't so I wouldn't be taking the chance to get a discount card under the table.  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I expect the former Philippine citizen would have no trouble at all getting the card.  That would not make it okay in my opinion for them or the white man.  When my wife turns 60 she can get the card and start paying for our meals out etc.  :tongue:

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Mike J said:

When my wife turns 60 she can get the card and start paying for our meals out etc.  :tongue:

But surely it will only apply to her meal :89:

Edited by Jack Peterson
spelling
  • Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I expect the former Philippine citizen would have no trouble at all getting the card.  That would not make it okay in my opinion for them or the white man.  When my wife turns 60 she can get the card and start paying for our meals out etc.  :tongue:

Is this actually allowed under the discount card scheme?  I know with the PWD scheme it is SUPPOSED to be only for the card holder so they shouldn't be buying the family meal - they do though! 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

But surely it will only apply to her meal :89:

In theory yes, in practice every time I see it done the entire bill is discounted.   Example - Wife and I had dinner with four Filipino friends (elderly mother, daughter, husband, child).  They were going to split the bill but I insisted on paying.  The elderly lady presented her card, a surprise to me, and the entire meal was discounted.  As the restaurant gets reimbursed by the government, via tax credit, for the discount it makes sense for them not to split out one meal of the six who ate.  I also see shoppers in the grocery store who bring an elder for (only what appears to be) the purpose of discounting the cost of groceries.  Not saying it legal or even morally correct, just saying it does happen often and the store, restaurant, etc. does not lose any money so they accept it.   Better for them to give a discount and get the tax credit than losing a customer.

As @hk bluesmentioned you can always ask for a senior discount.  The worst that will happen is they will ask for a senior card and "sorry sir, no card, no discount".   But then again, I guess the real worst case scenario is that a foreigner would offer up a senior card, be disrespectful and demand a discount, then get turned in by someone who knows the law.  

• Like 2