Senior discount card

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)

Should discount be fixed at the VAT rate i.e. 12%?  I ask because I see various different discounts applied - we had a family meal a year or so back and my MIL showed her discount card and we got 5% discount.  

Edited by hk blues

HappyJack
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

But surely it will only apply to her meal :89:

As per the law, the card entitles ONLY the cardholder a discount. 20% off the meal PLUS 12% VAT.  If a business gives it for the whole bill, well, You don't want to fall in the crosshairs of the BIR.

Edited by HappyJack

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, HappyJack said:

As per the law, the card entitles ONLY the cardholder a discount. 20% off the meal PLUS 12% VAT.  If a business gives it for the whole bill, well, it aint illegal but it aint correct.

Maybe they have a huge appetite and the family love to watch them eat!

• Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The senior discount was a brilliant way to get restaurants to report business income.  To get the rebate, you had to submit the necessary forms.  Statistically, the government would know if you were underreporting other meals for lower age groups.  The problem was an eventual ruling that the rebate could not be 100%.  I don't remember the details, but the amount is less than 100%.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Old55 said:

I repeatedly used the SM grocery Senior Only line a while back. Guess I'm got some splanin to do next visit? 

Th difference is availing a discount. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 9/16/2022 at 7:08 PM, Jack Peterson said:

This very true BUT. BUT and there is always a BUT, for foreigners it is Means tested, I know cos I have been there and Tried. Not many of us will ( according to Posts here) be poor enough to qualify  :56da632e94212_1(60):

Google tells me this topic has  come up before and pointed me to a topic where you were going to see the mayor or someone for an answer but there was no ending in that topic.  Do you recall the answer as to who can avail a senior discount?  I dont have a link to the topic as it was a day ago since i checked and now to lazy to find.

Oh I am not entitled to anything as I am a long term tourist but if I was not a tourist I think I would have no problem qualifying as a poor foreigner and you might be surprised at the numbers of poor foreigners here. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Google tells me this topic has  come up before and pointed me to a topic where you were going to see the mayor or someone for an answer but there was no ending in that topic.  Do you recall the answer as to who can avail a senior discount?  I dont have a link to the topic as it was a day ago since i checked and now to lazy to find.

Oh I am not entitled to anything as I am a long term tourist but if I was not a tourist I think I would have no problem qualifying as a poor foreigner and you might be surprised at the numbers of poor foreigners here. 

I don't think income has anything to do with financial needs, as the below 60K peso per year income level was dropped from the definition.  So it is now legally limited to any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old.  This discussion pops up every so often and it always begins with a reference to RA 2832 declaring that expats over 60 can avail the card.  As noted earlier RA 2832 was introduced because expats are not eligible under the then current and still current law.    That RA never passed, but it's ghost continues to haunt forums.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

As the Rolling Stones used to sing;

No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Do you recall the answer as to who can avail a senior discount? 

what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg The Mayors office sent me to the Retirement Regulatory Board who are as confused as we seem to be, i filled in a form which apparently told them whatever entitlement we may have would be void in my case as I am not poor enough. After that i was moving on.png

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg The Mayors office sent me to the Retirement Regulatory Board who are as confused as we seem to be, i filled in a form which apparently told them whatever entitlement we may have would be void in my case as I am not poor enough. After that i was moving on.png

It may be a case of some clumsy attempt to match the letter of the law with its practical and fair application. In other words, whilst foreigners are not entitled to it many think they should be but only if they are poor.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The hidden purpose behind the senior discount card is to track the revenues of restaurants and the result in increased collection of taxes.  Many Filipinos pay in cash,  foreigners are more likely to use credit cards.  Therefore, there is no need to give foreigners a discount.