Senior discount card

Gator
Posted
Posted

Having the discount card would be a nice benefit. Without asking I’ve been given a discount at a few places, but not often. What I do really really admire and often appreciate is the respect given to seniors. Just the fact that you’re able to go to check out counters that are designated for seniors, pregnant women and PWD’s is very helpful. Some stores, like the SM Clark grocery store, even have a small seating area by the senior’s check out counter …… a nice touch. 

It would be nice to see the same respect given to seniors and PWD’s in the USA. Although the law says there must be “handicapped” parking spaces at every business, once inside you’re treated the same (or worse) as everyone else. Yes, a few places (usually restaurants) offer a small discount for seniors (and veterans), but those are far and few between. And in many places if you don’t ask for it, you won’t get it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gator said:

Having the discount card would be a nice benefit. Without asking I’ve been given a discount at a few places, but not often. What I do really really admire and often appreciate is the respect given to seniors. Just the fact that you’re able to go to check out counters that are designated for seniors, pregnant women and PWD’s is very helpful. Some stores, like the SM Clark grocery store, even have a small seating area by the senior’s check out counter …… a nice touch. 

It would be nice to see the same respect given to seniors and PWD’s in the USA. Although the law says there must be “handicapped” parking spaces at every business, once inside you’re treated the same (or worse) as everyone else. Yes, a few places (usually restaurants) offer a small discount for seniors (and veterans), but those are far and few between. And in many places if you don’t ask for it, you won’t get it. 

Best post on the thread in my opinion. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

Seem I might be  in the minority here

I hear ya.  I am on the fence about it myself.  I believe the administration of the senior's discount is patently unfair.  But I do try to buck the system.  In fact, an expat friend in Cebu went to Bo's coffee with me a couple of months ago.  He had a senior's discount card and used it on his turn to buy the coffee.  Bo's had no trouble accepting it.  He told me to use his card when it was my round.  I palmed the card, paid full price, and gave him his card back with a "thank you".

That should make it obvious that I believe resident foreigners should be permitted access to the discount but I also believe it should be voluntarily given by the business and not forced on them by a government issued card.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That should make it obvious that I believe resident foreigners should be permitted access to the discount but I also believe it should be voluntarily given by the business and not forced on them by a government issued card.

So you’re saying that government sponsored programs that assist their citizens are bad? Free or discounted healthcare and medicine for the poor ….bad? Food stamps (in the USA) / food assistance programs …..bad? The list goes on……all bad?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Gator said:

So you’re saying that government sponsored programs that assist their citizens are bad?

I'm not saying that.  I'm saying government sponsored programs that are only applied to a person who was born a certain race and not allowed to others are bad.  All the other programs you mention are applicable to ALL permanent residents of the USA, regardless of race.

jimeve
Posted
Posted

If this happened in the UK, one race having seniors discount and the rest no discount. The racist card would soon be shown.

Just saying.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, jimeve said:

If this happened in the UK, one race having seniors discount and the rest no discount. The racist card would soon be shown.

Just saying.

With all due respect Dave and Jim, it is not about race, creed, or color, it is about citizenship.   

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Mike J said:

With all due respect Dave and Jim, it is not about race, creed, or color, it is about citizenship. 

I thought about that when I moved back to Canada with Lyn.  It was during covid and the government was handing out money to citizens for Corona Relief.  I wrote to our Premier and asked him what message that sent to new, legal, residents who were not yet citizens.  Doesn't that say the new residents are second class people.  Lyn got her check!  That would not happen in Philippines.  Couch it in whatever political correctness you like, but its not right.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I think it's about both, citizenship and race.