Senior discount card

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I have said this before in other streams. The poor rarely benefit from the senior discount. Try using it in the pelenki or wet market, never happens. Nor in any other mom and pop, sari-sari or other places the majority of Filipinos shop. Granted it does work at drug stores and that is a big help.

But in my view it is a scam for the rich. It is hilarious to watch my wife and her batch mates at a get together. All are university grads, all retired with pensions (or just wealthy) most get to the restaurant in SUVs with a hired driver. When the bill comes the poor wait person gets slapped with 15 senior citizenship cards. :hystery: So just by my observation the folks who need the discount the least take advantage of it most.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, scott h said:

I have said this before in other streams. The poor rarely benefit from the senior discount. Try using it in the pelenki or wet market, never happens. Nor in any other mom and pop, sari-sari or other places the majority of Filipinos shop. Granted it does work at drug stores and that is a big help.

But in my view it is a scam for the rich. It is hilarious to watch my wife and her batch mates at a get together. All are university grads, all retired with pensions (or just wealthy) most get to the restaurant in SUVs with a hired driver. When the bill comes the poor wait person gets slapped with 15 senior citizenship cards. :hystery: So just by my observation the folks who need the discount the least take advantage of it most.

I think what we're seeing at play here is the underlying mentality that I'm entitled to it thus I'll have it.  Not sure about other countries, but in the UK there is (still) an element of pride which stops folk short of grabbing everything they are entitled to.  I've seen folk here use PWD cards for as little as a 70php drink .  

Edit to Add - I'm not certain all stalls at wet markets are BIR registered and give receipts so no way they could offer the discount.  

Edited by hk blues

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, hk blues said:

in the UK there is (still) an element of pride which stops folk short of grabbing everything they are entitled to.

I know @stevewool still lives in the UK.  What do you think, Steve?  Do residents of the UK still have that pride which stops them from getting what they are entitled to?

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I know @stevewool still lives in the UK.  What do you think, Steve?  Do residents of the UK still have that pride which stops them from getting what they are entitled to?

As an ex UK citizen one of the things that puts me off returning is people thinking they deserve things they shouldn't be entited to. I'm sure most of the media reports are just click bait but I constantly get reports of X who has ten kids, never worked a day in her life complaining because her garden is a mess or the house has mold and the council haven't been around to clean up. One was complaining a bush was blocking sunlight to her house and if there was a fire she couldn't get out the house. You could have pulled the bush out with your bare hands. 

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The old folk have pride , I know my older brothers and friends who are now able to use a free bus pass but they don’t , silly really when it’s free after a certain age .

There are the usually ones who knows how to get every benefit that they think they are owed , there seems to be a younger generation now who know that they can get more money by not working but by claiming benefits .

Its funny when Emma first came here and she started to see the local news about folk claiming this and that , having more kids , it did make her angry , still does , this does not happen in the Philippines is what she says .

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

As an ex UK citizen one of the things that puts me off returning is people thinking they deserve things they shouldn't be entited to. I'm sure most of the media reports are just click bait but I constantly get reports of X who has ten kids, never worked a day in her life complaining because her garden is a mess or the house has mold and the council haven't been around to clean up. One was complaining a bush was blocking sunlight to her house and if there was a fire she couldn't get out the house. You could have pulled the bush out with your bare hands. 

The new why I can’t work since Covid is mental health , I’ve never seen so many thick looking odd folk with a few kids sitting in a dirty house with 2 pit bulls claiming they have mental Heath issues so can’t work , 

• Sad 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, stevewool said:

The new why I can’t work since Covid is mental health , I’ve never seen so many thick looking odd folk with a few kids sitting in a dirty house with 2 pit bulls claiming they have mental Heath issues so can’t work , 

My son is a manager in a store and a 17yr old lad has just gone sick with stress.  His job entails sitting at a cash register and he will get sick pay. 

I used to do warrants and many times people on full disability that can't walk and need a mobility car have been jumping up and down in front of me screaming that they are going to kill me. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, stevewool said:

The old folk have pride , I know my older brothers and friends who are now able to use a free bus pass but they don’t , silly really when it’s free after a certain age .

There are the usually ones who knows how to get every benefit that they think they are owed , there seems to be a younger generation now who know that they can get more money by not working but by claiming benefits .

Its funny when Emma first came here and she started to see the local news about folk claiming this and that , having more kids , it did make her angry , still does , this does not happen in the Philippines is what she says .

Yep. pretty much as I understand it based on chats with family members and friends online etc.  There is a section of society who make some moral evaluation when deciding what, and how much, they are willing to take whilst there is another sector who don't see where morals come into it and take as much as they possibly can.

I liken it to the situation here where Front Liners were given priority in stores. I do not believe this was intended to be used by Front Liners when not on duty yet many of them did.  Kinda frustrating to be waiting in a long line in Burger King and see a much younger couple go straight to the front when they were, at that time, just a shopper like me and everyone else in the long line.  I simply wouldn't have the nerve to do it - others obviously would.

• Like 1