Dolomite beach back in the news

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Getting ready for the "Welcome to the Philippines" photo?    Or maybe "Where is Waldo" in the work crew? :hystery:

More than a thousand sacks of trash were collected at the “Dolomite beach” in Manila Bay to mark the International Coastal Clean-up Day on Saturday, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) said.

“More than 1,000 sacks of waste materials were collected during the activity earlier,” the PCG said in a statement.

The PCG also said a total of 310 individuals from the PCG, the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology, and other organizations took part in the event.

Signed by former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo in 2003, Presidential Proclamation No. 470 declares the third Sunday of September of each year as International Coastal Clean-Up Day in observance of the Global Coastal Clean-up celebrations.

Dolomite beach cleanup PCG

• Sad 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Mike J said:

Getting ready for the "Welcome to the Philippines" photo?    Or maybe "Where is Waldo" in the work crew? :hystery:

More than a thousand sacks of trash were collected at the “Dolomite beach” in Manila Bay to mark the International Coastal Clean-up Day on Saturday, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) said.

“More than 1,000 sacks of waste materials were collected during the activity earlier,” the PCG said in a statement.

The PCG also said a total of 310 individuals from the PCG, the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology, and other organizations took part in the event.

Signed by former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo in 2003, Presidential Proclamation No. 470 declares the third Sunday of September of each year as International Coastal Clean-Up Day in observance of the Global Coastal Clean-up celebrations.

Dolomite beach cleanup PCG

As much as I love and respect PI and its people in general the need for this really gets on my goat.  I don't understand why they don't understand that they're quite literally shitting in their own nest.  Yes, most developed nations do have their national "clean up days" but in most cases it's not to the extent as required as it is here.  They're harming their tourism industry, killing their fishing industry and in some cases due to the leaching of chemicals harming themselves.  I know the rules are there but it's enforcement that's the problem, or rather lack thereof.  There's so many instances where if laws were enforced governments at all levels would be much better off financially.  Yeah, I know, corruption and stuff....  The  paradigm shift ain't gonna happen in my lifetime.  The only thing that gives me hope with regards to the waste issues are examples like Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and even Indonesia have all gotten their act together or making great strides towards achieving it.  I visited all  the countries many times thanks to my naval service prior to their dramatic shift in attitude and yes, even Singapore was still filthy in some areas as recently as the late 80's.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Dolomite Beach, which is supposedly similar to Miami Beach (both artificially created) is in the wrong location.  Manila Bay is heavily polluted which means the trash and waste will wash up on shore.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Dolomite Beach, which is supposedly similar to Miami Beach (both artificially created) is in the wrong location.  Manila Bay is heavily polluted which means the trash and waste will wash up on shore.  

You might recall a few years back lots of work was dont in the bay as well as the rivers etc that lead into. Many structures demolished and waterways cleaned. Trash traps installed and cleaned and some dredging. Realistic i1000 sacks of waste is not that high of a number.

The issue is no matter what efforts' are taken people go back to their old habits and trash ends up in the sea again.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

You might recall a few years back lots of work was dont in the bay as well as the rivers etc that lead into. Many structures demolished and waterways cleaned. Trash traps installed and cleaned and some dredging. Realistic i1000 sacks of waste is not that high of a number.

The issue is no matter what efforts' are taken people go back to their old habits and trash ends up in the sea again.

Yup, one day of show until next year.  Am I reading the article wrong, or are most of the "volunteers" inmates?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yup, one day of show until next year.  Am I reading the article wrong, or are most of the "volunteers" inmates?

I believe they were coast guard personnel. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

They're certainly determined not to give up. A bit like offering a worker a Jack Hammer to dig 100m of road up but he's happy with a 6 inch nail stuck in a bit of UPVC piping and a house brick as a hammer.  It's how we've always done it. :89: 

• Like 1