Magandang Araw (Good day in English)

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 9/18/2022 at 8:22 AM, Jason W said:

So far the only downside i see is that dogs and roosters are inevitable 

The game is finding a place to live in the city where they aren't.  It can take years, but it is possible with the help of guarded gates.

• Like 1

Jason W
Posted
Posted

@JJReyes Thank you for the solid advice. That sounds like a plan!!  From what i've seen on youtube videos i feel like my budget might afford the Metro areas lifestyle but what i would like do is live more "provincially" (?) and have the funds to do a little traveling/ day trips/ snorkeling/diving.  

Every "How much money do i need to retire in the Philippines" video i've watched has the same no brainer answer... "It depends on your lifestyle."   DUH. Hahahah!!

The range i've seen and am interested in varies, again, based on lifestyle of course, from an unrealistic (to me) $800/mo. up to $3000/mo.

I like your idea of trying the lifestyle based on budget, for a month or 2 and like @BrettGC said, holiday mode and long term are two different fishes. i would like my monthly basic living expenses like food, water, housing and transportation to be around 50% of my income, but who wouldn't right? 

I know it's easy for me to say from here on my recliner in the states that i don't think i need the all the fancy hotels, western style food and restaurants.. maybe every now and then.  We shall see. I'm definitely looking forward to the in person, no bs boots on the ground research for sure.  All i know for sure at this point is that i imagine A/C will be a must. I appreciate the replies and advice, thank you!

If there's other considerations that anyone feels would be helpful for an Expat prospect to know.. send it:5795:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jason W said:

All i know for sure at this point is that i imagine A/C will be a must.

Nope

We rarely use the aircon as I am acclimatized which is basically the same climate as where I came from. Depends on the structure of the place you are living. Some people run it endlessly and others dont need it very often. Fans work fine for me most of the time.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Nope

We rarely use the aircon as I am acclimatized which is basically the same climate as where I came from. Depends on the structure of the place you are living. Some people run it endlessly and others dont need it very often. Fans work fine for me most of the time.

Same here, but I came from an even more tropical area than you for my last 4 years in Australia (Cairns - Great Barrier Reef area in the far north for the benefit of the non-Aussies).  In Cairns we averaged about 34-40C with humidity 75-90% with the sun still up.  We did have a couple of extreme years where for a couple of weeks it was above 40C with high humidity... My now wife came to visit and nearly booked a flight straight back to PI - it was 45C and 90% humidity the day she arrived lol.  We did have the upside of pleasant winters there though, mid to high 20's with no humidity to speak of during the day and high teens at night which except for specific areas is hard to find here.   Here we really only run it on those nights where the mercury refuses to go below 28-29C and then only for an hour or so to get to sleep.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jason W said:

All i know for sure at this point is that i imagine A/C will be a must.

Absolutely, on humid days when I blast the a/c, if you leave the cold room you can feel yourself get punched by a wall of wet heat. Humid nights too. In fact the only time it isn't humid and you don't need the aircon is right after it rains. My electric bill hovers around 5k, worth it.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

A/C is a must for us now.  We managed  1 year with a room cooler in the bedroom then decided it wasn't working to help us sleep so we installed an A/C.  A year later we decided we wanted to be more comfortable in the LR watching TV - we were using 2x ceiling fans - so we added another A/C/  A 3rd was added in the room where my son does his lessons.  And, a month or so back we added a 4th in his upstairs bedroom. 

So, we went from saying No Need in the beginning to having 4 units 7 years later!  Wouldn't be without it now but plenty manage so probably not necessarily a must have for everyone.  

• Like 1

Jason W
Posted
Posted

@hk blues Now we're talkin..  That's more my style lol!!  I know what it's like to feel that wall of heat hit ya, as @Kingpin mentioned, for me it was "more of a dry heat".

Mojave desert, Texas, Arizona, Iraq, Afghanistan, I've been in some heat and I know i appreciate some A/C :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jason W
Posted
Posted

@Kingpin by my math 5k is about $90 USD.  I'm with ya, "worth it"  That's definitely going into the budget plan, ty:thumbsup:

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'v managed to live without aircon and I'm from the north England. My location is near the sea, so I somtimes we get a cool breeze.

My electric bill is around 2.5k pesos. the house is large with 4 CR's three large bedrooms with three floors to climb. Keeps me fit.

Fitness Posing GIF

Edit. That's not me BTW, my skin is much paler. :hystery:

Edited by jimeve
  • Haha 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Another option that does not consume as much electricity are dehumidifiers.  We had several in our Philippine home to protect electronic and camera equipment.  But the lower humidity made the room pleasant.  The air conditioners were for the bedrooms.

• Like 1