Sim card registration comming

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 9/21/2022 at 9:30 PM, Old55 said:

Buy a few SIM cards now?

What's behind all this BS?

How would that help though - surely existing SIM cards currently in use at the time of becoming law will also need to be registered i.e. not only when purchasing a new one?

I've been using the same SIM for 2+ years and I assume if and when the law comes into force I'll have to register it.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
On 9/28/2022 at 2:49 PM, hk blues said:

I've been using the same SIM for 2+ years and I assume if and when the law comes into force I'll have to register it.

In theory that will probably be the case but in practice how long would it take the authorities to register every existing SIM card?

Realistically I can't see that happening any time soon...

Maybe they could require the telcos to phase out the old unregistered SIM cards and people have to get new ones? (ie the old one can't be topped up anymore)

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

In theory that will probably be the case but in practice how long would it take the authorities to register every existing SIM card?

Realistically I can't see that happening any time soon...

Maybe they could require the telcos to phase out the old unregistered SIM cards and people have to get new ones? (ie the old one can't be topped up anymore)

I just assumed, probably wrong, that the agency collecting the data would then notify the teleco provider that the sim has been "registered".  The teleco would, by law, be required to disable service to those sims not registered after the six month deadline.  At least that is how I would do it, but no in the Philippine government ever asked for my opinion. :tongue:   I suppose we could be looking to a future FUBAR. :whistling:

• Hmm thinking 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

the agency collecting the data would then notify the teleco provider that the sim has been "registered".

Registered by who though. The owner? A relative? A fixer? And are sari sari stores qualified to determine if an ID is valid or fake? Not exactly a foolproof plan, seems like it's more for appearance.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Like everything, and not just here, you have to start somewhere and lots of details will need to evolve.  Probably a starting point would be to ensure all new SIMs are registered and then next the already existing SIMs.  Of course, we will likely never get to the "next" group!  Actually, we will likely never get to the starting point in reality!

• Like 1