Marcos: PH has 'no territorial conflict with China'

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Marcos did not mince his words and made it clear where he stands. :thumbsup:

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/2022/9/24/Bongbong-Marcos-Philippines-China-no-territorial-conflict.html

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 24)— The Philippines has "no territorial conflict" with China, President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. said on Saturday as he reiterated his stand in asserting the country's sovereign rights.

"The position that the Philippines takes is that we have no territorial conflict with China," Marcos said during his meeting with the Asia Society in New York City. "What we have [is] China claiming territory that belongs to the Philippines."

"So this is the position we take with our American partners, we have promoted that position," he added. "We have also made it very clear to our friends in Beijing that this is the way we feel about it."

The East Asian giant has repeatedly rejected the 2016 arbitral ruling that junked its sweeping claims in the South China Sea.

The President repeated his earlier pledge to protect Philippine territory, but noted that his administration will continue working with concerned parties to resolve issues.

"On our part, we will continue to work with China and other claimant states with the end in view of resolving the issues involving the West Philippine Sea through diplomacy and through dialogue," he said.

Allies in US, ASEAN members
Marcos, however, admitted that the Philippines would not be able to match the military "strength" and capability of China if conflict erupts.

But he said this is where the nations' allies would come into play.

"And that's why I think that ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) is going to have to play a stronger role in all of these discussions and in trying to again keep the peace...but continue to engage China," Marcos stressed.

The chief executive also cited the country's partnership with the United States, underscoring its importance in helping promote peace, security, and law-based order.

Marcos, who is in New York City for the United Nations General Assembly and other engagements, also met with US President Joe Biden.

The two leaders tackled issues surrounding the West Philippine Sea and human rights, among others, and vowed to maintain their countries' solid ties.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

clear as mud if you ask me Mike. Sounds like business as usual. This might play well for local consumption but the statement has less teeth than I do....:89:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Mike J said:

"The position that the Philippines takes is that we have no territorial conflict with China," Marcos said during his meeting with the Asia Society in New York City. "What we have [is] China claiming territory that belongs to the Philippines."

I fail to see the difference.  If someone claims territory that belongs to the Philippines and that is challenged then it is a conflict.  It may be a verbal conflict rather than a conflict of arms but still a conflict.  Yes?  No?

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I fail to see the difference.  If someone claims territory that belongs to the Philippines and that is challenged then it is a conflict.  It may be a verbal conflict rather than a conflict of arms but still a conflict.  Yes?  No?

Yes and No.  There is of course a verbal conflict.  But Marcos is saying "no conflict because it has been decided and there is nothing to argue more about".  Marcos is basically trying to draw a hard line and it should be noted that this statement came after Marcos met with the US president who pledged "ironclad commitment to defend the Philippines from an attack by a foreign aggressor".  Marcos appears to be taking a much harder stand against China than did Duterte.  The argument will certainly go on and the reality is that China currently carries a bigger stick than does the Philippines. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

So the usual mealy mouth placatory language that says nothing and maintains the status quo of murkiness that exists with any county's relationship with China.  Why? Money, and no one wants to start WWIII.  

• Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

It should also be remembered that given China's statements in the UN overnight with regards to Russian in the Ukraine, that they're probably going to use Russia's invasion of Ukraine and the Crimea, and the Russian claim of their right to put a buffer between them and NATO, as a precedent for their  own policies and actions in the South China Sea and by extension eventually Taiwan.  In case you missed it, China whilst not exactly supporting Russia's claims has taken some actions that don't do it any harm.  

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

I thought China just bought their way into countries anyway. Set up a POGO, fly in a few thousand young guys of fighting age who look a lot like the military type then if things go pear shaped just flick the switch and you've already got boots on the ground. 

Meanwhile their business activities are paying for their deployment, win, win.

Edited by Snowy79

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I thought China just bought their way into countries anyway. Set up a POGO, fly in a few thousand young guys of fighting age who look a lot like the military type then if things go pear shaped just flick the switch and you've already got boots on the ground. 

Meanwhile their business activities are paying for their deployment, win, win.

China has 1 military base outside of China. I'm not sure there is any evidence of them surreptitiously taking over the world other than through economic power.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, hk blues said:

China has 1 military base outside of China. I'm not sure there is any evidence of them surreptitiously taking over the world other than through economic power.

Agree, China is playing the "long game".  I have included the URL to an article that talks about their strategy.  I did not post the text itself because it is rather lengthy.

https://www.brookings.edu/essay/the-long-game-chinas-grand-strategy-to-displace-american-order/

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I skimmed to the summary  - thanks for the link.

Anyone who has any doubt about how China is positioning itself really only needs to look at the belt and road initiative it has been developing since forever. 

The war in Ukraine has probably put any doubt that China may have had about its ability to challenge the establishment on a military level to rest - Russia has seen how out of touch they are with their hardware and software and I don't know if China would fare much better.

As they say, you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar and the sugar in this case is trade and economic support. 

• Like 1