What Is The Quality Of Water And Food Sources

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I'm sure glad the Philippines is the only country in the world that has non-potable water (sic) ....... :mocking: :hystery: :hystery:
Would you care to elaborate please? :89:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Metro Cebu Water Distributor says that it`s tap water is safe to drink. Well I don`t want to try I will stick to bottled water.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

1. I ask the waiter to bring the bottled water unopened. This is to reduce the possibility of their refilling the bottle from the tap. I inspect the seal to make sure it's original. Look for glue residue.2. Don't use the glass. Even if thoroughly washed, the wipe cloth is often dirty. Waiters also stick their fingers inside so they can transport 3 or 4 glasses at the same time. 3. Really hot tea is a good substitute. Also beer and Coca-Cola if drank from the bottle.4. No raw vegetables. There is a good reason why Filipinos boil vegetables as a soup with fish and meat or stir fry.5. No shellfish. The harvest source is shoreline and oftentimes polluted. 6. No tilapia. They are bottom feeders and their food source is anything and everything. They locate ponds next to piggeries since the waste from pigs is consider highly nutrient for the tilapia fish.7. I walk around the restaurant to see what everyone is eating. Wait 20 or 30 minutes, then order the same dishes. Beats paying for a food taster.8. No "turo-turo" places where the food has been left exposed at room temperate, sometimes for hours. My wife once saw a rice dish she thought was "Ala Cubano" with raisins. The waitress swished her hand and all the raisins flew away. My preference is food mean't to be consumed within half an hour after it is prepared.9. Avoid overly spicy food. That's one way to disguise food that starting to become rancid.10. If you uncertain, the large food chains are usually safe or safer because of their standardized food handling procedures. 11. I bring my own pocketknife, one of those small Swiss Army to cut fruits. Rinse it with water and sanitize it later. I have seen some who wipe the knife first on their dirty trousers before cutting fruit. 12. My wife always has packaged quality crackers, nuts, and energy bars in her bag. If she is not comfortable with the food, even at a party, she won't starve. Inspite of all the precautions, I will get really sick at least once. It is best to bring along medication. A sympathetic pharmacist will also sell medication, including antibiotics, that would require a medical doctor's prescription in the United States.

• Like 3

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
In response to a recent discussion on quality of life here, It was mentioned that water and food sources are not healthy and may be loaded with contaminents, pestisides, steroids, et al.Most of us here use bottled water. Is it clean or pure? Has anyone had this tested to ensure that it is in fact good?Is the produce actually contaminated with toxic pestisides?Is the fish contaminated with chemicals?Are there regional differences and issues. I've heard of outbreaks of red tide an algae issues in Manila bay.Is it possible to ensure the safety and quality of water and food here in the Philippines? Is this a problem or hazzard of living here?
I would definitely say there are regional variances.I see people growing rice near Palompon Leyte and have never seen anything added. And about 99% of the people are still using carabao to plough.I was once having a shower under a small waterfall and could see a carabou sitting in the water a small way upstream. I decided not to drink any water while showering.Hog feed is very popular. I don't know what goes into hog feed but if there is hormones, I am getting them. Otherwise, I have no issues with pigs except lack of refrigeration. In Palompon, you have to buy your pork early. The pigs are laid out fresh after being killed. The longer they sit there, the more time the flies have to do their work. All the seafood is fresh caught overnight and sold in the wet market in the morning. The fish stalls all use ice though. If the seafood is caught close to Palompon I have no issues. Palompon has a marine sanctuary within swimming distance so the water around Palompon is quite good.Some of the water companies put the water through more than 10 stages of cleaning. So what you buy should be pretty good.Up in the mountains near Palompon, the water supply is all from fresh water springs or water tank. I have no issues with drinking that water.At our apartment, the water we drink is supplied by my girlfriends brother at P20 for 5 gallons. Her brother is a water distributor.In Cebu City it is an entirely different story. I would never eat seafood caught locally. Just one look at the brown water near the pier should put you off.In Cebu City, I used to drink the water straight out of the tap. In 2004, I got kidney stones. The doctor said it may be the water out of the tap. He said it is relatively free of bugs but is high in calcium.Regards: Jim
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Can you buy reverse-osmosis water purifiers easily in the Cebu area? Or am I just wishful thinking?

Duma
Posted
Posted

I think it takes time to adjust to the water and food here.....I have been drinking pump water here for so long and rarely had a problem.....Now living in the town of Dumaguete we have the water district scheme water and never had a problem also.....I try to drink 2 L daily of tap water.But every time we go to Cebu we bring our own water in coke bottles......But after a few days there both my partner and I are always get constipated :angry:It must be the food and how its prepared and cooked in the water......Its very rare for us to have buy bottle water.....except in Manila.Its interesting to hear that most people are buying bottle water.....I suppose the longer you stay your build up a resistance to the bugs in the water here.Duma

• Like 1

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

Yes reverse osmosis water systems are available , my neighbor in Lapux2 had one in his home and had one put into his new house also.. unfortunatly I'm stateside now or i would find out where he found them

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Higg-num
Posted
Posted

This is a very good information indeed & a great concern for Athletes......Explanation; My water is filtered IF the municipal supplier does not add fluoride. ( Very hard on a human system ) If they do then I stick to a legit bottled water source. I plan on carrying a portable filtration system with me to Cebu. Here state side ( U.S. ) I consume all Organic or at times " Natural" . Meaning Non-GMO. The beef, even if only natural has no rBGH hormones and the chickens are free range. ( Meaning they are NOT vegetarian feed ) Fish I prefer " wild caught " with as much fat on it as it is natural. Not the " Japanese " tuna for sushi at the so-called up scale restaurants where they were caught wild but put into tanks to control the temp and diet to fatten them up for sale to sushi chefs for higher end customers. I get the same fish just these are not modified by man.Fat in and of it's self on an animal is no indication that is it good nor ill. The healthier and more unaltered the meats & veggies are...the healthier the human. Altered foods are NOT as " Bio-availible " to the human system as the untouched sources.As an older has been soldier or Amateur athlete , I'm forced to pay attention to what I consume for energy. Proper portions, fasting and foods aid greatly to both performance and recovery. If I get above 10% body fat or my resting Heart rate rise's over the lower 40's...... it means I have a problem with either my conditioning, my rest / recovery or food / water intake. Food & water sources MAY be a problem for me till I get to sources I know are solid. Once I know exactly where / when I land It is my hope that I can establish connections that can make my food requirement list happy. Till then I'll make due with what I can. I'm certain the Coaches /instructors and other students at what ever MMA gym I wind up at would be able to help out. Would you guys not think so ?

jode
Posted
Posted

Was so proud of myself a couple weeks ago for finding a whole roasted chicken for 100 pesos. This thrifty genious lost the 50 peso savings in the cost of tolet paper alone in the next ten days of frequent trips to the cr. Lesson learned - beware of bargain cut rate food available at the end of the day.Food quality is a big negative about the philippines for me. Back home we have regulations which right-wingers complain about, but which make our food alot safer. Government and industry oversight certainly has its place in keeping food safe. Wish they had more of it here in Phil.That said if u admire slim bodied filipinoes then eat what they do and lose weight. Most westerners would be better off if they did.Stomach problems are common for me here, but i have gone many weeks in past with few problems.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Can you buy reverse-osmosis water purifiers easily in the Cebu area? Or am I just wishful thinking?
Bob why not check or inquire at TRUE VALUE or ACE hardware . they have them in stock.also if your not in country perhaps you can find/buy 1 in your home countryand bring it here so your prepared, be aware the power is 220v here.