Long trip in Asia

Colsie
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, RBM said:

These comments if anything are an understatement, first time I brought my partner to Vietnam we arrived at immigration very early, first in Que to check in. Even though after going through the hoops we almost missed flight. Talked to many pissed off, Koreans, Aussies whom did miss their flights due to snail pace of second immigration interview.

Often wondered what happens to the foreigner in this situation, his passport is stamped with departure so curious if he can just enter again without (in effect) departing and start over.

This reminds me of a solo flight I was taking from Manila to Osaka, Japan. I cleared immigration and was quietly waiting at the gate to board the plane. Then 10 minutes before boarding the flight was cancelled due to a typhoon near Japan. 

What happened next :shock_40_anim_gif:

I sent back through immigration the wrong way and told to come back tomorrow and give the immigration guy a nod and he'll let me back through... :hystery:

Cebu Pacific put me on the next day flight (after an uncomfortable night in the airport) and sure enough, I asked for the immigration guy and he VIPed me through the queue of people...and with one touch of his magic pen, everything was done. (I now left on the 10th)

Only in the Philippines, the rules apply until they don't... 

Freebie
Posted
Posted

For Colsie... same thing happened to me.

I was sat in Cathay Pacific lounge having gone through Immigration expecting to travel to HK onwards to New York.

Next thing they said all flights cancelled due to typhoon.

All passengers were taken back to check in desk without any "arrival "stamps. Some diplomat was shouting " how can I be back in Philippines without a re-entry stamp". I didnt care about that. I cared that I had nothing, ie clothes, toiletries, etc in my condo as I wasnt expecting to be there.

Found a ground transport guy, gave him P1000 and he said he would get my bag from hold of the plane. 15 minutes he arrives, soaked to skin with my bag. At which point all other passengers said " How did you get your  bag." I smiled that " you gotta know how to get things done in this country "smile and left.

Next morning I arrived for check in.. Cathay and all airport check in desks  was basically offline, so all check ins were done MANUALLY. Took 4 hours. At Immigration they had a list of those who had left, but hadnt actually left. 

Fortunately they held the NEW York bound plane for us at HK . Fun days indeed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1