Retirement

RBM
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Guy F. said:

More good advice. I won't drive in Cebu either. In Bohol I won't drive late at night unless I absolutely must.

Interesting comments here, for myself no issues at all driving Cebu. having lived there a few years guess helps. Bacolod is pretty much as bad as it gets, the me me situation goes to a very high level. My only rule here is almost no night driving where its worse.

Now with the phasing in of the new min buses and not renewing the rego on these horrible old dilapidated smokey jeeps its improving a little. 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, RBM said:

Interesting comments here, for myself no issues at all driving Cebu. having lived there a few years guess helps. Bacolod is pretty much as bad as it gets, the me me situation goes to a very high level. My only rule here is almost no night driving where its worse.

Now with the phasing in of the new min buses and not renewing the rego on these horrible old dilapidated smokey jeeps its improving a little. 

Are there still trikes in Bacolod?  They're still in Dumaguete but Governor Teves is talking about phasing them out next year.  They're probably the biggest hazard on the roads in Dumaguete, completely oblivious to anything going on around them, they'll even look at you approaching and still pull out...

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Are there still trikes in Bacolod?  They're still in Dumaguete but Governor Teves is talking about phasing them out next year.  They're probably the biggest hazard on the roads in Dumaguete, completely oblivious to anything going on around them, they'll even look at you approaching and still pull out...

The trikes in Bacolod are few compared to Dumaguete, its the crazy old jeepneys that create most accidents.  Also like many cities here the entitlement attitude.

I was last in Dumaguete a year ago, thought traffic vastly improved since few years before, although the number of motor cycles has increased, crazy.

• Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I thought the rule of thumb to be "the larger vehicle has the right of way."

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

Right ow way.. interesting concept to Filipinos.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Guy F. said:

That is my understanding in Bacolod without doubt.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Right ow way.. interesting concept to Filipinos.

No such thing Brett. I have said before road signs in the Philippines are a waste of paint.

• Like 1

Sheriff2144
Posted
Posted

Thank you all so much for your replies. It is very much appreciated.

Yes, we are planning a trip to Philippines as we have done with the other countries we have looked at to get a better idea. 

Culture shock --- well, I'm sure it happens and can be overcome with time with commitment to a new country and lifestyle.

Poverty, Beggars etc. Have seen the good and bad of China, Thailand, Bali, and Malaysian areas, so nothing new to us there.

Have watched a lot of YouTube to get a snippet of an idea as where to start.  IloIlo seems like that might be the first starting point, but Guihulngan might have to be explore now as well.

Health Care --- Well, we are both fairly healthy so far but I guess as we get older like we all do, Health care becomes more of a priority. Can I ask what private health care plans people have, Local? Inernational? etc and roughly the cost. I have one some online quotes here and have ranged between 8k to 10k per year for both my wife and myself.

Again, thank you to all in advance for any answers. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Sheriff2144 said:

Thank you all so much for your replies. It is very much appreciated.

Yes, we are planning a trip to Philippines as we have done with the other countries we have looked at to get a better idea. 

Culture shock --- well, I'm sure it happens and can be overcome with time with commitment to a new country and lifestyle.

Poverty, Beggars etc. Have seen the good and bad of China, Thailand, Bali, and Malaysian areas, so nothing new to us there.

Have watched a lot of YouTube to get a snippet of an idea as where to start.  IloIlo seems like that might be the first starting point, but Guihulngan might have to be explore now as well.

Health Care --- Well, we are both fairly healthy so far but I guess as we get older like we all do, Health care becomes more of a priority. Can I ask what private health care plans people have, Local? Inernational? etc and roughly the cost. I have one some online quotes here and have ranged between 8k to 10k per year for both my wife and myself.

Again, thank you to all in advance for any answers. 

I'm in Iloilo so feel free to message me if you have any specific questions that I may be able to answer.

• Like 1