My life experience so far in Philippines

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Nice to hear from you Tommy , what was the problem with your roof for it to be replaced 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, stevewool said:

Nice to hear from you Tommy , what was the problem with your roof for it to be replaced 

It leaked like a sieve in many places. The builders used an improper design for the material - a false tile design that  held water rather than drain it since the roof has only a small down angle to it. They also did not seal it properly to the walls. They just did an overall sloppy job. But it was not super expensive to fix it, thankfully.

• Like 1

fototek1
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Hi Tommy.  I think you would enjoy Subic and I will be selling my house soon!  Close to the Yacht Club, quiet, driving not an issue.  More expensive though, of course.

Are you selling at a Filipino price :hystery:? Send me a PM with some photo's, location and price. We maybe interested. 

jimeve
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

It leaked like a sieve in many places. The builders used an improper design for the material - a false tile design that  held water rather than drain it since the roof has only a small down angle to it. They also did not seal it properly to the walls. They just did an overall sloppy job. But it was not super expensive to fix it, thankfully.

Our roof was the same, they didn't seal it to the wall and water was dripping down the inside of the wall. Got local firm to sort it out, so far after 7 months no problems. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jimeve said:

Our roof was the same, they didn't seal it to the wall and water was dripping down the inside of the wall. Got local firm to sort it out, so far after 7 months no problems. 

Our roof guy cut a groove in the wall and folded over the flashing into this groove and then sealed with sealant.  It's only been 3 years but no issues so far.  That said, a different contractor did similar on the small roof above the dirty kitchen but it leaked earlier this year after about 4 years.  I guess the silicon failed so I just ran a new bead where it had failed.

The environment here is challenging for roofs etc.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'd get the python back to sort the rats out, snakes will smell rats from a distance and be attracted to your property.  99.9% of snakes even the cobras want nothing to do with you, if you come across one leave them an escape route and shoo them away with water. 

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

shoo them away with water.

Yeah  . . . .  very hot water . .  straight out of the kettle :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I'd get the python back to sort the rats out, snakes will smell rats from a distance and be attracted to your property.  99.9% of snakes even the cobras want nothing to do with you, if you come across one leave them an escape route and shoo them away with water. 

The problem l have is with Cobra's...the girl has a dozen or so rabbits, about the same in chick's and chickens... a couple of cats and three dogs...so if a cobra comes a calling it's really not practical to shoo it away... It's on with the wellies and out with the Sundang...I really dislike deadly snakes 

Edited by Colsie

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I hear urine works well - which is great as I'd have plenty of it If I saw a large snake! 

• Haha 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
On 10/12/2022 at 9:25 AM, Tommy T. said:

Ants... My God! Every day I go out and spray for ants, especially the small red ones that bite and itch and hurt. Remember that our home is more or less in the country and not in the city.

I had ant problems everywhere I lived in the Philippines. Before we built our house here I asked an exterminator what he was using in the condo I was renting in insect infested Florida. He suggested Esfenvalerate so I sent some in a balikbayan box. It's 3.5% active ingredient and you dilute it. He said before moving in spray coarse spray in back of cabinets, behind where refrigerator goes, washing machine etc. After moving in spray a coarse spray at the corner of exterior doors where the frame joins the floor. He claimed insects like the shortest path and love corners. Do the same at windows. Repeat every month or so for the doors and windows only, no need to spray in the house unless you see an infestation. The bottle I bought is still 80% full and for 3 years we have had zero ants. We see a dead roach a few times a year but no live ones. I never thought I'd achieve this in the Philippines. I am sure you can find this insecticide here and it is nontoxic to mammals

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1