Upgrading to SSD

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have an old desktop computer that is not worth much and very slow.  Still running Windows 7.

With Amazon free shipping, I was thinking about upgrading it to an SSD.  Something like:

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-MZ-V8V1T0B-AM-980-SSD/dp/B08V83JZH4/ref=sr_1_47?pf_rd_i=24436421011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=d37af51c-98e4-43b2-9c1f-a991f5feb98c&pf_rd_r=T924MWSTTY4M976NKGCE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&qid=1665810981&s=computers-intl-ship&sr=1-47&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&th=1

or cheaper still the 500 gb is only 59.

I have no idea what upgrading it to SSD would involve.  Any nerds out there that can offer advice?  There is nothing on the old hard drive that I need to save.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Any nerds out there that can offer advice? 

I upgraded my laptop to SSD some years ago.  I am not nerdy with these things but the old drive quit working so it was a "must do".  I watched a YouTube video on how to do it and it was done in a very short time.  I liked that it ran cooler and faster than the old type.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have an old desktop computer that is not worth much and very slow.  Still running Windows 7.

With Amazon free shipping, I was thinking about upgrading it to an SSD.  Something like:

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-MZ-V8V1T0B-AM-980-SSD/dp/B08V83JZH4/ref=sr_1_47?pf_rd_i=24436421011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=d37af51c-98e4-43b2-9c1f-a991f5feb98c&pf_rd_r=T924MWSTTY4M976NKGCE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&qid=1665810981&s=computers-intl-ship&sr=1-47&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&th=1

I have no idea what upgrading it to SSD would involve.  Any nerds out there that can offer advice?  There is nothing on the old hard drive that I need to save.

If you still have your Windows install disk, use that after the SSD is put in your machine.  It's highly recommended you upgrade to Windows 10 as support for windows 7 ended in 2020 so that means no more security updates etc, leaving you vulnerable to exploits, hacking, malware etc.  You'll probably find the SSD will play a little better with Windows 10 as SSD's are relatively newer technology and 10 will probably have some reference drivers for most brands of SSD.  Due to no one telling the update servers that you can have to pay for windows 10 from 7, you can still do the upgrade for free despite the free offer ending 5 years ago.  

So, replace your HDD with your SSD, insert your Windows 7 disc and install - it should run automatically.  Got to Windows Update in settings while you're connected to the internet, and upgrade to 10 and you're done. If you don't have your Windows 7 disc there is a workaround using both your old drive and the new but honestly I'd personally just go and buy a copy of Windows 10, but unfortunately that will cost you about $160AUD for the home edition.  

I'd go the bigger SSD, but that's just me, I'm a gamer so my HD's fill up pretty fast.  

As DaveH said, your computer will run a lot cooler and faster - SSD's have no moving parts, it's the point of them. 

Unless you have a Microsoft Surface machine when asked if you want to upgrade to Windows 11, personally I'd give it a miss.  Funnily enough there's been no issues on my Microsoft Surface laptop, but it's caused all sorts of issues on my Acer gaming laptop, conflicts, missing drivers, non-optimised drivers, memory leaks (using more RAM than it should be) - I'm winding it back to 10 until they get their shit in one sock.   

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

insert your Windows 7 disc

No disk so I guess I would have to spring for Windows 10.

Youngster
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

It would work if your motherboard has a socket for it.  If not, you’ll need to go with an ssd sata drive like this. 

Adding more RAM and SSD hd can do wonders to old computers.  Also, if you are looking to upgrade to Windows 10, keysoff website often sells full version license for under $10.  Windows 11 probably won’t run on your old pc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Have you checked Lazada? I always check there before ordering HDDs or SSDs (I use a lot). Sometimes, Amazon deals are worth it; sometimes not. Last couple of months, Lazada deals on Western Digital drives have been as good or better than Amazon. Also, if you have to RMA a drive from Amazon, you might run into "region warranty" issues. Hope this helps. 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, StayAtHomeDad said:

Have you checked Lazada? I always check there before ordering HDDs or SSDs (I use a lot). Sometimes, Amazon deals are worth it; sometimes not. Last couple of months, Lazada deals on Western Digital drives have been as good or better than Amazon. Also, if you have to RMA a drive from Amazon, you might run into "region warranty" issues. Hope this helps. 

I think you are correct.  Good deals there also.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Youngster said:

It would work if your motherboard has a socket for it.  If not, you’ll need to go with an ssd sata drive like this. 

It is old, so I'm fairly certain it does not have the slot.  I watched a You Tube video and see what is look like.

• Sad 1

Major Tom
Posted
Posted

Not a nerd, but easy enough for me to do, since my desktop has an SSD and an HDD. All I did was use a free download (diskgenius.com) to transfer my entire HDD to my SDD. The difference between the two drives is like night and day--SSD is faster and quieter than the HDD--glad to have made the change.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

Not a nerd, but easy enough for me to do, since my desktop has an SSD and an HDD. All I did was use a free download (diskgenius.com) to transfer my entire HDD to my SDD. The difference between the two drives is like night and day--SSD is faster and quieter than the HDD--glad to have made the change.

Now that sounds like a plan for my desktop!  I have plenty room to add a sata SSD.

You can wear your nerd badge proudly! :hystery:

• Haha 1