Australia Domestic Travel

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Starting a new thread for this.  Looks like our itinerary in Australia is going to be:

Sydney:  3 nights

Brisbane: 6 nights

Melbourne: 13 nights

Might cut the Melbourne down and spend a few nights in Sydney before departing back to PH.  I am looking at one way flights.  The possible airlines coming up are  Jetstar, Virgin, REX and Qantas.  

SYD-BNE  REX seems to be the cheapest

BNE-MEL  Jetstar seems to be the cheapest

MEL-SYD  Jetstar seems to be the cheapest

This is all from Google flights and I have not considered timings, nor the cost of baggage.  We will bring 3 20 kg checked bags and our carry-ons, on Cebu Pacific.

Advice, warnings, avoids, are appreciated.  This will be during the Christmas holidays, so I would guess everything will be crowded.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Jetstar (or crapstar as we locals call them) might be cheap but they have a very good reputation for cancelling flights, personally I avoid them at all cost.

Your travel is during the busiest time of the year, so expect to pay top dollar.

Which airline are you heading down under on?

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Starting a new thread for this.  Looks like our itinerary in Australia is going to be:

Sydney:  3 nights

Brisbane: 6 nights

Melbourne: 13 nights

Might cut the Melbourne down and spend a few nights in Sydney before departing back to PH.  I am looking at one way flights.  The possible airlines coming up are  Jetstar, Virgin, REX and Qantas.  

SYD-BNE  REX seems to be the cheapest

BNE-MEL  Jetstar seems to be the cheapest

MEL-SYD  Jetstar seems to be the cheapest

This is all from Google flights and I have not considered timings, nor the cost of baggage.  We will bring 3 20 kg checked bags and our carry-ons, on Cebu Pacific.

Advice, warnings, avoids, are appreciated.  This will be during the Christmas holidays, so I would guess everything will be crowded.

A cautionary tale:  Qantas and Jetstar are effectively the same company but Qantas being the flagship used to be a little more reliable.  Just prior the pandemic the CEO of both companies sacked all their ground staff - baggage handlers, check-in staff - and outsourced the services.  Granted, most were re-employed, but at reduced wages.  Then the pandemic hit and everyone was laid off.  Operations start up again domestically last year, and surprise surprise, most of the ground staff had found other jobs and made the decision to not to return to what was previously a well paid job but is now shite money.  Qantas didn't have the the ground staff to be able to handle the flight capacity, and still doesn't, but it's slowly getting better apparently.  As a result, mass cancelled flights, greatly delayed flights, lost baggage and people still waiting on refunds from last year.  

I've never been a fan of Qantas anyway; overpriced, rude flight staff, club memberships becoming more expensive and benefits reduced.  The only upside to them is the price advertised is all you'll pay with baggage and meals included.  Jeststar, Rex and Virgin those are all add-ons to be paid for.  

Just tip, all the domestic airlines very regularly run "lunch-time" specials so if you log on to one of their websites at around midday (two hours ahead of us) you can pick up some great bargains.  

As @Onemore52 said, like most countries, Christmas/new year is and expensive time to travel in Australia. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

A cautionary tale:  Qantas and Jetstar are effectively the same company but Qantas being the flagship used to be a little more reliable.  Just prior the pandemic the CEO of both companies sacked all their ground staff - baggage handlers, check-in staff - and outsourced the services.  Granted, most were re-employed, but at reduced wages.  Then the pandemic hit and everyone was laid off.  Operations start up again domestically last year, and surprise surprise, most of the ground staff had found other jobs and made the decision to not to return to what was previously a well paid job but is now shite money.  Qantas didn't have the the ground staff to be able to handle the flight capacity, and still doesn't, but it's slowly getting better apparently.  As a result, mass cancelled flights, greatly delayed flights, lost baggage and people still waiting on refunds from last year.  

I've never been a fan of Qantas anyway; overpriced, rude flight staff, club memberships becoming more expensive and benefits reduced.  The only upside to them is the price advertised is all you'll pay with baggage and meals included.  Jeststar, Rex and Virgin those are all add-ons to be paid for.  

Just tip, all the domestic airlines very regularly run "lunch-time" specials so if you log on to one of their websites at around midday (two hours ahead of us) you can pick up some great bargains.  

As @Onemore52 said, like most countries, Christmas/new year is and expensive time to travel in Australia. 

Brett, great information, as always!  I have already ruled out Jetstar, I think.

Any experiences with REX or Virgin?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Jetstar (or crapstar as we locals call them) might be cheap but they have a very good reputation for cancelling flights, personally I avoid them at all cost.

Your travel is during the busiest time of the year, so expect to pay top dollar.

Which airline are you heading down under on?

Yes, I have ruled out Crapstar.  Read some reviews on Trip Advisor and so many people said they ruined their holiday.

We are booked on Cebu Pacifc.  Qantas and Philippine Air are double the price and I can't afford them.  Same exact aircraft for all three.  I booked an exit row seat for me and the family is next to me or behind me.

Also, on the Jetstar website, it appears that you have to pay to use the overhead bin???  I won't give them my business and hope they go out of business.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Brett, great information, as always!  I have already ruled out Jetstar, I think.

Any experiences with REX or Virgin?

Virgin is my preferred and you can pay a one-off fee to use their members lounges. Staff are friendly and helpful as well.  They do try to convey this "cool and hip" vibe which is a little over the top at times but that's more an observation than a criticism.

Haven't flown Rex for years so can't really comment.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Virgin is my preferred and you can pay a one-off fee to use their members lounges. Staff are friendly and helpful as well.  They do try to convey this "cool and hip" vibe which is a little over the top at times but that's more an observation than a criticism.

Haven't flown Rex for years so can't really comment.

I'm very cool and hip, so I should fit right in! :hystery:

• Haha 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I have ruled out Crapstar.  Read some reviews on Trip Advisor and so many people said they ruined their holiday.

What people don't realise is that it takes weeks to train baggage handlers mainly due to the safety, security and equipment operation.  Like all things aviation, they are held to a higher standard with their training and certification. 

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Earlier this year I flew over to the PI's twice, once Qantas the other PI airlines. Qantas has always been my choice, landing and takeoff times okay, PI airlines a bit out of the ordinary with their takeoff time. I will never fly Qantas again, rude personnel, Planes not on time, up to 3 hrs. late and no communication with passenger's, staff unaware of company policies, and they can declare you medically unfit to fly without any medical experience, a slip-on wet tile, no damage. Within an hour I produced a signed hospital medical certificate stating I was medically fit to fly long distance. When I returned to the airport to claim our seats they'd been sold and no more flights for two days. We spent the two days in Brisbane, costing us over $1000, but there was a bit of light when we arrived at the airport to fly, seeing I had a medical certificate they wheeled me in and out of customs, immigrations and down the ramp to board the plane, then at the other end in PI, I was wheeled out to the car waiting in the parking area. I've flown with both airlines in the past regular and never needed the service of wheelchairs. I used the wheelchair with PI airlines and there were no pandemic excuses about inexperienced staff, they were their usual selves, just bloody happy to see visitors and have a job. Yes, PI airlines maybe a little dearer, but if your penny- pinching that amount you can't have a good holiday anyway. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

• Like 4

Gas
Posted
Posted

If possible I would stretch your stay in Sydney for a few more nights. Plenty of things to do and you won’t even scratch the surface staying 3 nights. 
We are regular visitors to Australia and decent accommodation becomes scare during the holiday season, so I’d book as early as possible.
Our last trip was in July this year and things have got a lot more expensive than pre covid. 
Still a great place to visit though and your kids will love it.