Taxi Booking Services in Australia

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Wondering if there are any taxi booking services like Grab in Australia?  In particular, in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.

I googled, and some things popped up, but first hand experience rules!

Secondary question, can most or any taxis handle 3 adults and two kids with baggage?

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

No grab, but Uber has the market sewn up, but you have to be careful with their pricing because in times of high demand their prices can go through the roof.

The second question in my experience, the short answer is no.

In Sydney and Brisbane both airports are serviced by a train system that will get you into the city, in Melbourne by a shuttle bus into the city. But that is depending on what time you arrive, in Sydney for example if you arrive in peak hour the trains are packed.

For 3 adults and  2 children you would be better off hiring a small van depending on how much luggage you have, the taxis will not take 5 people because of rules regarding seat belts. 3 in the back 1 in the front.

In Sydney there are shuttle buses that go to the major hotels, these buses tow a small trailer for the luggage.

So all depends where you are staying.

PM me if you want to know more.

Do you know how to speak Australian?

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Wondering if there are any taxi booking services like Grab in Australia?  In particular, in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.

I googled, and some things popped up, but first hand experience rules!

Secondary question, can most or any taxis handle 3 adults and two kids with baggage?

4 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

No grab, but Uber has the market sewn up, but you have to be careful with their pricing because in times of high demand their prices can go through the roof.

The second question in my experience, the short answer is no.

In Sydney and Brisbane both airports are serviced by a train system that will get you into the city, in Melbourne by a shuttle bus into the city. But that is depending on what time you arrive, in Sydney for example if you arrive in peak hour the trains are packed.

For 3 adults and  2 children you would be better off hiring a small van depending on how much luggage you have, the taxis will not take 5 people because of rules regarding seat belts. 3 in the back 1 in the front.

In Sydney there are shuttle buses that go to the major hotels, these buses tow a small trailer for the luggage.

So all depends where you are staying.

PM me if you want to know more.

Yep, Uber is the main ridesharing, there are a couple of other companies but the drivers work for them as well so no difference.  You can order a larger vehicle from them but who knows what the availability will be so you may be waiting a while. 

Sydney cabs does have an app and as Onemore said their sedans won't take 5 passengers but again, you can order a van.  

Melbourne: a list of transport option, and there's a limo link at the bottom, I used the limo 3 years ago, relatively cheap, not much more than a taxi.  https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/Passengers/Parking/Ground-transport-options/Buses#:~:text=SkyBus runs express bus services,directly to confirm service status.  Alternatively do a search for Melbourne Airport shuttle services and there's a raft of options.  

Sydney I found a comprehensive list of options to get into the city:  https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/info-sheet/transport-options-international

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

No worries mate, I've got Google Translate!  :hystery:

Great info and I will PM you when the time comes. Thank you!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Yep, Uber is the main ridesharing, there are a couple of other companies but the drivers work for them as well so no difference.  You can order a larger vehicle from them but who knows what the availability will be so you may be waiting a while. 

Sydney cabs does have an app and as Onemore said their sedans won't take 5 passengers but again, you can order a van.  

Melbourne: a list of transport option, and there's a limo link at the bottom, I used the limo 3 years ago, relatively cheap, not much more than a taxi.  https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/Passengers/Parking/Ground-transport-options/Buses#:~:text=SkyBus runs express bus services,directly to confirm service status.  Alternatively do a search for Melbourne Airport shuttle services and there's a raft of options.  

Sydney I found a comprehensive list of options to get into the city:  https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/info-sheet/transport-options-international

Thanks again!  I think the family has us covered in Melbourne.  I already booked an AirBnb in Sydney for 3 nights, and the host says it is a short walk to the train that goes direct to the airport.  I am not sure if that is Central.  More research to be done.

Also, there is a relatively cheap shuttle on Klook that I may consider.  It will take you from the airport direct to your hotel.  My wife saw it before but I don't see it now.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Thanks again!  I think the family has us covered in Melbourne.  I already booked an AirBnb in Sydney for 3 nights, and the host says it is a short walk to the train that goes direct to the airport.  I am not sure if that is Central.  More research to be done.

Also, there is a relatively cheap shuttle on Klook that I may consider.  It will take you from the airport direct to your hotel.  My wife saw it before but I don't see it now.

AirportLink Pty Ltd - Maps

Everything you need to know about the airport train link:

https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/using-public-transport/getting-to-airport#:~:text=trip plan results.-,Train,midnight%2C 7 days a week.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I just chatted with our AirBnb host and she said her place is 200 meters from the Wynyard station, but, if we have 4 or more people, Uber or taxi is cheaper than the train.  Do kids get a discount on the train?  I will find out.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I just chatted with our AirBnb host and she said her place is 200 meters from the Wynyard station, but, if we have 4 or more people, Uber or taxi is cheaper than the train.  Do kids get a discount on the train?  I will find out.

Looks like the train would cost 94 AUD for 3 adults and two kids.  Estimated taxi to CBD is 45-55, so I need to find out about one that will hold 5 and bags.

• Like 1