New Road

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Make a nice stream when it rains and won't last 12 months without proper foundation.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

Flashback memory to about 40 or so years ago.  I worked for the Oregon Military Department and had a driver license with a long list of endorsements, one of which was 10 ton tractor with flatbed trailer.  I had to move a military version of a D7 caterpillar crawler tractor from Camp Withycombe in Clackamas Oregon to Lake Oswego, Oregon.  They loaded and chained down the D7 and I left for Lake Oswego.  As I approached where I needed to make a left turn to get onto the freeway the traffic was stalled.  So I pulled into the right lane to go around the stalled traffic.  Crap, then the traffic started moving and would not let me back in!  I continued on past my turn until I found a place to turn around and headed back to the highway.  There was a set of traffic cones guarding the right lane and a worker raced out so I could make my right turn onto the onramp.  Suddenly I start to slow, I drop a gear, still slowing, drop a gear, still slowing, now down to second gear.  WTH is going on, am I running out of fuel or what?  Look in my side mirror and I am leaving a twin set of 2 inch deep dual tire tracks through fresh asphalt.   That brand new hot asphalt didn't stand a chance against a trailer carrying a 60K plus load.  I have often wondered what happened to the guy who moved those cones?   I still feel kind of bad about it, but I sure am glad I was able to get away. :whistling:

Edited by Mike J
  • Haha 5