The Dreaded Property Disputes Begin

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have heard of that happening, but only anecdotally, and only when the taxes have not been paid for 10 years or more, and only on tax dec land.  It's Philippines.

That I can understand.  It can't be as simple as it sounds and there has to be criteria  - even in the Philippines. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have heard of that happening, but only anecdotally, and only when the taxes have not been paid for 10 years or more, and only on tax dec land.  It's Philippines.

I'm sure you are correct about the ten years paying tax. If I remember correctly they can then apply for a Free Patent which is a short cut to having the title. It was introduced many years ago to speed up titling applications, basically if you showed ten years taxes your paperwork was stamped as it showed the LGU never required the land. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's good you have a trusted family member living on the property. This may discourage some future issues. 

"Remembering" the Baragay captain and police chief for Christmas would be well worthwhile in this case. 

• Like 1

jlobrist
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Old55 said:

"Remembering" the Baragay captain and police chief for Christmas would be well worthwhile in this case. 

Great suggestion. She’ll continue to visit the property every so often to pay the care taker. Bringing gifts with her would be definitely worth while. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jlobrist said:

Running away seems unrealistic when the property is paid for and will eventually be in my wife’s name. Selling it is obviously what we’ll have to do since we’ll probably never be safe living there.

Seems logical.  It is always the foreigner who gets blamed for these things so your wife should be fine.  I can only think of a couple of foreigners who got killed over property disputes after they had won the fight.  Its enough to keep a low profile until you can sell it but not enough to run away.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Good luck in your venture and a wise decision to sell up from a distance once everything is in place. 

On a side note a friend on Boracay with a 25yr lease on a very large property with pool had 19yrs lease left and had a visit from the owners with a few armed men, they were forcefully evicted without being allowed to pack up even their pets. They lost the lot, the only things they got out was what they were wearing and could carry.

They can't even push it too far as it's a small island and life is cheap so have had to bite the bullet.  Other friends are helping where possible but again can't stick their heads up due to the owners reputation.

In June this year 8 security guards took over another hotel, the Circa hotel at gunpoint, those were fortunately arrested but no doubt out on bail now and when I was looking to buy on Mount Luho in 2015 I was asking about properties and advised by my partner at the time to leave one that I had my eye on.  Three days later the security guard was shot dead in a land dispute. 

• Sad 3

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Have fun transferring the title, I've just finished that ordeal, took over 18 months and that was with my wife having a personal assistant going to the various offices every 2-3 weeks to follow up. The best part was when the one of the offices fined us for taking too long to transfer it but that was only because we had to wait for the DAR clearance first:biggrin:.

• Sad 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

The more likely issue will be... the cost of going to court to settle any property/deed/title/property line issues.... that is real, common, prolonged, and expensive. In many areas deeds/titles were documented on the back of an envelope (literally) until a few years ago... and they have dozens of fingers attached to them... and are also subject to the whim of the local clerk. Lawyers have little incentive to finish a case.  Yes, it's possible to buy property in the Philippines and enjoy it... but if there's any other than crystal clear transfer with no issues... I wouldn't bother.

• Like 4