Filipino senator’s suggestion to ban K-dramas in the Philippines does not go over well

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Filipino senator’s suggestion to ban K-dramas in the Philippines does not go over well.

A Filipino senator faced online ridicule after he suggested imposing a ban on K-dramas in the Philippines.

Senator Jose Pimentel Ejercito Jr., who is better known as Jinggoy Estrada, gave his suggestion during the budget hearing of the Film Development Council of the Philippines on Tuesday.

“My observation is that when we continue showing Korean telenovelas, what Filipinos idolize are these Koreans and our Filipino artists lose jobs and income,” Estrada, a son of deposed Philippine president Joseph Estrada, reportedly said. “So sometimes it enters my mind to ban these telenovelas of foreigners and that our Filipino artists who have talent in acting should be the ones to be shown in our country.”

It did not take long before "Jinggoy," his nickname, became a trending topic on Twitter as social media users heavily weighed in on his comments.

“Banning the 'competition'?! Such a short-sighted & lazy response! how about boosting the local entertainment industry instead so that we produce more high-quality content?” a Twitter user wrote.

“We can promote QUALITY FILMS/TELENOVELAS without banning other countries brilliant masterpieces, Sen. Jinggoy Estrada,” another user wrote. “It would be much better if our government could support the film industry and actors to make a difference.”

"I'm for 'Let's promote Filipino projects' but banning KDramas will not solve the film industry's problem," wrote another on Twitter. "If he sincerely wants to help the Film industry, craft laws that will support the industry. Government support is what they need and that's what Korea is doing."

Jinggoy Estrada

Ryan General

Fri, October 21, 2022, 12:38 PM

In this article: 

Jinggoy Estrada

Filipino politician and actor

A Filipino senator faced online ridicule after he suggested imposing a ban on K-dramas in the Philippines.

Senator Jose Pimentel Ejercito Jr., who is better known as Jinggoy Estrada, gave his suggestion during the budget hearing of the Film Development Council of the Philippines on Tuesday.

“My observation is that when we continue showing Korean telenovelas, what Filipinos idolize are these Koreans and our Filipino artists lose jobs and income,” Estrada, a son of deposed Philippine president Joseph Estrada, reportedly said. “So sometimes it enters my mind to ban these telenovelas of foreigners and that our Filipino artists who have talent in acting should be the ones to be shown in our country.”

It did not take long before "Jinggoy," his nickname, became a trending topic on Twitter as social media users heavily weighed in on his comments.

“Banning the 'competition'?! Such a short-sighted & lazy response! how about boosting the local entertainment industry instead so that we produce more high-quality content?” a Twitter user wrote.

“We can promote QUALITY FILMS/TELENOVELAS without banning other countries brilliant masterpieces, Sen. Jinggoy Estrada,” another user wrote. “It would be much better if our government could support the film industry and actors to make a difference.”

"I'm for 'Let's promote Filipino projects' but banning KDramas will not solve the film industry's problem," wrote another on Twitter. "If he sincerely wants to help the Film industry, craft laws that will support the industry. Government support is what they need and that's what Korea is doing."

In response to the backlash, the senator issued a statement on Wednesday.

“My statement stems from the frustration that while we are only too eager and willing to celebrate South Korea’s entertainment industry, we have sadly allowed our own to deteriorate because of the lack of support from the movie going public,” Estrada said. “I wish that the zealousness of our kababayans [compatriots] in patronizing foreign artists can be replicated to support our homegrown talents who I strongly believe are likewise world-class.”

He went on to say that he has nothing against the success of the South Korean entertainment industry and acknowledged that there is much to learn from its globally recognized stars.

https://news.yahoo.com/filipino-senator-suggestion-ban-k-193840533.html

If you follow the link to the article the comments are quite interesting. Most are well thought out on point and articulate. 

• Hmm thinking 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

So he thinks Filipino telenovas will attract.....doubtful to say the least. Before Korean telenovas were compulsory viewing here it was Mexian telenovas.

Some of these elected official just dont get it.

Wasnt this one the entitled one who was in court for plunder along with oh so honest Dad.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just do what they did in Australia:  

Transmission quotas

To comply with the transmission quotas set out in the Broadcasting Services Act 1992 (BSA), all commercial television licensees must broadcast:

• 55% Australian content between 6 am and midnight on primary channels
  • 1,460 hours of Australian content between 6 am and midnight on non-primary channels.

Been that way for at about 30 years.  Unfortunately, just after 2000 or so some smart cookie worked out that reality TV is much cheaper to produce than drama etc.  Funnily enough Australia's collective IQ began to drop at about the same time... 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Just do what they did in Australia:  

Been that way for at about 30 years.  Unfortunately, just after 2000 or so some smart cookie worked out that reality TV is much cheaper to produce than drama etc.  Funnily enough Australia's collective IQ began to drop at about the same time... 

I'm surprised that the Woke people are not protesting that as RACIST!!!!!!! :hystery:  They would in the U.S.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm surprised that the Woke people are not protesting that as RACIST!!!!!!! :hystery:  They would in the U.S.

I like to call them the "wokerazi" and unfortunately, 90% of the entertainment industry is made up of them so nah, there's not going to be any of that. 

baronapart
Posted
Posted

The Koreans do make a mean drama...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Showing my ignorance here, I know not uncommon. :tongue:  What is a Korean Drama?  Are they like what they used to call "Soap Opera" in the USA?

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Showing my ignorance here, I know not uncommon. :tongue:  What is a Korean Drama?  Are they like what they used to call "Soap Opera" in the USA?

Yes. They are a Korean soap opera with very pretty androgynous men and beautiful ladies. 

The Koreans also have some period shows like we see on Netflix like Game of Thrones. Some are very well done so I've been told. 

Edited by Old55
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Yes. They are a Korean soap opera with very pretty androgynous men and beautiful ladies. 

The Koreans also have some period shows like we see on Netflix like Game of Thrones. Some are very well done so I've been told. 

My television seems to be stuck on National Geographic, History Channel, Food Channel, or the occasional American football, baseball game, I am able to find.   I remember going to a small hardware store close to me to buy some kind of plumbing part.  They had a small TV mounted up near the ceiling with one of those shows on.  Of the seven people behind the counter in the store, six were watching the show.  And the head of the lady helping me was bouncing back and forth from me to the TV.  Looked a bit like she was watching a tennis match from the midcourt line.   As even the locals say "Only in Da Philippines".

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Korea and Japan are doing great things in the TV and movie world.  Why?  People are a little tired of woke messaging and politics being inserted into their entertainment when all they want is escapism.  The Koreans and Japanese are still making entertainment to entertain without agendas and people in the west have finally woken up to this and are flocking to it. When the wokism and agendas are present it's organic and seamless and not there to push any "message". A great example is "Parasite" which won the Academy Award for best picture a few years ago, not best foreign film, but best picture; it's a fantastic movie.  

The biggest show on Netflix worldwide in the last couple of years was "Squid Game", even beating "Stranger Things" as Netflix's greatest success ever and beating out HBO's "Game of Thrones", mainly due to it's larger Asian audience in addition to its army of western devotees.  There's only been one season so far we'll see if it can maintain its momentum. 

Other great shows are:

Alice in Borderland - Sci Fi

Kingdom - Josean period drama with a twist

My Name - Crime drama

Train to Busan - Best zombie movie made, ever.  To call this a zombie only isn't doing it justice, it's a tale of sacrifice and redemption.  Ignore the sequel, like most, it's average at best.

All of Us are Dead - Again with the zombies, but it's a vehicle for some very human stories that tug the heartstrings.

The Silent Sea - Sci Fi

Sysiphus: The Myth - Sci Fi

D.P - Military drama set against the backdrop of Korean national service

Squid Game - Indescribable but it is must see

Hellbound - Horror 

Sweet Home - Yet another zombie TV series but again more than just a zombie show

Vincenzo - Crime/Italian Mafia story.  Normally the western actors in Asian or Indian productions are, well, shite.  Not this time.

That's enough to keep you going for a bit :whistling:

Yes, I'm a fan of the stuff coming out of Asia :thumbsup:

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1