Filipino senator’s suggestion to ban K-dramas in the Philippines does not go over well

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Guess I'm living under a rock :89:   But I never heard of a "K-drama" until I saw this... is there anyway to get back the 30 seconds of my life I spent reading that article? :shooter:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Joey G said:

Guess I'm living under a rock

under a rock.jpg

• Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Squid Game - Indescribable but it is must see

I surrender.  I thought I did not watch Korean Dramas but yeah. . . I loved this one and it is classified as a South Korean survival drama.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Korea and Japan are doing great things in the TV and movie world.  Why?  People are a little tired of woke messaging and politics being inserted into their entertainment when all they want is escapism.  The Koreans and Japanese are still making entertainment to entertain without agendas and people in the west have finally woken up to this and are flocking to it. When the wokism and agendas are present it's organic and seamless and not there to push any "message". A great example is "Parasite" which won the Academy Award for best picture a few years ago, not best foreign film, but best picture; it's a fantastic movie.  

The biggest show on Netflix worldwide in the last couple of years was "Squid Game", even beating "Stranger Things" as Netflix's greatest success ever and beating out HBO's "Game of Thrones", mainly due to it's larger Asian audience in addition to its army of western devotees.  There's only been one season so far we'll see if it can maintain its momentum. 

Other great shows are:

Alice in Borderland - Sci Fi

Kingdom - Josean period drama with a twist

My Name - Crime drama

Train to Busan - Best zombie movie made, ever.  To call this a zombie only isn't doing it justice, it's a tale of sacrifice and redemption.  Ignore the sequel, like most, it's average at best.

All of Us are Dead - Again with the zombies, but it's a vehicle for some very human stories that tug the heartstrings.

The Silent Sea - Sci Fi

Sysiphus: The Myth - Sci Fi

D.P - Military drama set against the backdrop of Korean national service

Squid Game - Indescribable but it is must see

Hellbound - Horror 

Sweet Home - Yet another zombie TV series but again more than just a zombie show

Vincenzo - Crime/Italian Mafia story.  Normally the western actors in Asian or Indian productions are, well, shite.  Not this time.

That's enough to keep you going for a bit :whistling:

Yes, I'm a fan of the stuff coming out of Asia :thumbsup:

With the exception of Squid Games and Parasite I haven't watched any K productions. Nothing against Korea, I don't watch anything that's not in English regardless.  I just don't enjoy dubbed shows or subtitles- it ruins my enjoyment. 

The only exposure I have to K stuff is when an ad pops up on my Cignal - It's just drivel with a group of homogeneous looking youngsters over acting. Probably more of a reflection on Cignal's low budgets than anything else to be fair.

Other than Anime, I wasn't aware that Japan has much of a reputation other than for a couple of horrors such as The Ring.

For me, there is way more than enough stuff to watch that fits my preferences but appreciate others may have broader tastes. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

To be fair my ex used to watch a few Filipino soaps and if you only listened to the script you would think everyone was identical. Evil business woman, lots of chismis and the Black sheep of the family, not to forget the compulsory hospital scenes.

I used to rip the P out of my ex as she watched it when I said " Let me guess, she's a cut throat business women, when's the kidnap scene about to happen?  Sure enough a few minutes later there would be an attempted kidnap with the camera pausing to do a close up of a witnesses face with the most wooden look of shock I've ever seen. 

Needless to say I ditched the TV when we seperated and no longer watch it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Mike J said:

Showing my ignorance here, I know not uncommon. :tongue:  What is a Korean Drama?  Are they like what they used to call "Soap Opera" in the USA?

Slicker production values than what we remember as Soaps. I agree with Brett. The Koreans just make good shows without pounding some alternative message at you. Just got through binging Extraordinary Attorney Woo on Netflix with the boss. What a wholesome show.

• Like 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted

...and if you ever get tired of K-Dramas there is always the K-Drummer...

• Love it 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, baronapart said:

...and if you ever get tired of K-Dramas there is always the K-Drummer...

Been following her for a few years... She's actually very talented and, well, you know... 

• Love it 1
  • Haha 3