Korean Air A330 crash landed at Mactan airport

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not much info released so far. No one was seriously hurt. Looks as though it overshot the north end of  the runway.

A Korean Air A330 has crash-landed at Cebu International Airport during heavy rain.

The Korean Air flight KE631 overshot the runway at Cebu International Airport after attempting to land twice due to poor visibility and heavy rain.

Flights to Cebu International Airport are returning to their origin or are diverting to Francisco Bangoy International Airport.

Passengers of the Airbus 330-200 (reg. HL7525) were evacuated via emergency slides.

Article link; https://www.airlive.net/breaking-a-korean-air-a330-has-crash-landed-at-cebu-international-airport/amp/

Twitter video;  https://www.airlive.net/breaking-a-korean-air-a330-has-crash-landed-at-cebu-international-airport/amp/

ABS-CBN News

Plane overshoots runway at Mactan Cebu International Airport

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 24 2022 01:16 AM

An airplane overshot its runway at the Mactan Cebu International Airport (MCIA) on Sunday night.

According to flight trackers, it was Korean Air KE631 from Incheon Airport in South Korea that overshot the runway. 

Korean Air in its official Facebook page confirmed that it was KE631 from Incheon Airport bound for Cebu.

“An accident that diverted the runway due to worsening weather during landing at Cebu Airport. Korean Air is investigating the casualties and the exact cause of the accident. We will provide additional information regarding the confirmation,” said its official statement translated from Korean.

Some residents living near the runway such as Clint Baguio said they heard a loud thud past 11 p.m.

“It was very unusual and when I looked, the passengers were being deplaned. I also heard screams,” Baguio said in Cebuano.

He added that it was raining very hard in the vicinity which might have contributed to poor visibility.

MCIA officials have yet to disclose details of what happened.

Lapu-Lapu City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Chief Nagiel Bañacia said their responders were already at runway 04 tending to the incident.

They said nobody was hurt from either the passengers and the crew.

Currently, all operations at MCIA are suspended.

Some flights have already been diverted to Davao following the incident. Others have been cancelled or delayed. - report from Annie Perez

D1B8D28E-9251-4A23-BEE6-6AD9D84F8B9B.jpeg

5E5FBB5B-5E57-46F1-A4DF-74374DD48BAB.jpeg

229B2FDA-7867-4440-9287-03F11D5FA0D5.jpeg

5E5FBB5B-5E57-46F1-A4DF-74374DD48BAB.jpeg

Edited by Old55

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

From what little I know of commercial aircraft that is a total loss. The fuselage just aft of the wings is severely crumpled. Fuselage's are armored to prevent this so evidence of collapse as seen in this photo is serious. Surprised but pleased no one was hurt.

Korean Air-operated Airbus A330-300 aircraft has reportedly overshot the runway at Mactan–Cebu International Airport in the Philippines amidst bad weather and poor visibility in the area late on Sunday night.

Photos of the accident scene that have been posted on social media show the tail of the aircraft tipped into the air after it apparently crashed through an airport fence at the end of one of the runways.

The 24-year-old aircraft departed Seoul Incheon at around 7:20 pm on Sunday evening but was forced into a holding pattern around Cebu due to poor weather conditions.

Data supplied by Flight Radar 24 shows that the pilots had already made two failed landing attempts before the ‘runway incursion’ occurred on the third landing attempt.

Korean Air operates its Airbus A330-300 aircraft in two configurations with a maximum capacity of 276 passengers.

In a statement, the Seoul-based airline confirmed flight KE631 had been involved in an accident after the aircraft “deviated from the runway due to bad weather during the landing at Cebu Airport”.

The airline said it was investigating the incident without providing any further details. A spokesperson could not immediately confirm whether there had been any injuries among passengers or crew.

Article link; https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2022/10/23/korean-air-airbus-a330-overshoots-runway-at-cebu-airport-after-two-failed-landing-attempts/

korea-air-accident.webp

Edited by Old55

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

With three attempts, I can't help but wonder about the level of experience of the flight crew. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Mike J said:

With three attempts, I can't help but wonder about the level of experience of the flight crew.

I had similar thoughts, but I was not there.  I do not know if there was anywhere to reroute to or if they had the fuel to do it.

Joey G
Posted
Posted

The cockpit comm's will be interesting to listen to.

.Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 11.40.28 PM.png

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/hl7525#2df2dce6

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

You may not know but the rain last night was very heavy. Runway would probably have sheets of water and visibility probably zero. Second night in a row a major storm here in the city.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Runway would probably have sheets of water and visibility probably zero.

At That weight and speed The Pilot seems to have got whatever he did right, especially if the Plane went into Hydroplaning and to me, that would be something that definitely needs to be explored :tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson
punctuation
  • Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mike J said:

I can't help wondering about how many hours the pilots had been flying before this.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I can't help wondering about how many hours the pilots had been flying before this.

So Geoff. I presume you are leaning toward Pilot error and Not ATC error for allowing that 3rd landing attempt?

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

skippyscage
Posted
Posted (edited)

ILS was out of service, therefore only RNAV and visual approaches were available

Only hearsay and not officially confirmed - on the 2nd attempt they did touch down but went around due to a hard landing (most likely long) - they informed ATC that they had undercarriage issues before the 3rd landing - conjecture suggests they might have lost braking hence the overrun

Expect to wait for at least a year for the final official report, and a couple of weeks until a prelim...

edit: apparently no reverse thrust used on the last touchdown which was smooth - something must have been broken

here's an interesting Reddit thread with comments from someone on board
https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/comments/ybmpan/a_korean_air_a330_has_crashlanded_at_cebu/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Edited by skippyscage
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2