Korean Air A330 crash landed at Mactan airport

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

So Geoff. I presume you are leaning toward Pilot error and Not ATC error for allowing that 3rd landing attempt?

Speaking as an (ex) pilot go arounds are stress inducing at the best of times, add in heavy rain and (allegedly) no ILS and the workload is going to be extremely high.

If you add tiredness (even within legal hours limits) to that then you've got a situation that even a good pilot will struggle with.

My best guess (and that's all it is) leans towards pilot error (compounded by the situation and possibly by ATC instructions).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Speaking as an (ex) pilot

You may not realize it but Jack is also an ex pilot.  Thus I will ask both of you if the flight path in this quoted post (below) looks normal or odd?  To a layman it looks very strange.

12 hours ago, Joey G said:

The cockpit comm's will be interesting to listen to.

.Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 11.40.28 PM.png

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/hl7525#2df2dce6

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

Zoomed the flight path for old eyes like mine. 

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ke631#2df2dce6

image.png

Edited by Mike J
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Follow up article.  Air officials from South Korea arrive.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/10/25/22/korean-air-officials-arrive-in-ph-for-accident-probe

Officials from Korean Air arrived in the Philippines Monday night to join the probe in its aircraft mishap that happened Sunday night at the runway of the Mactan Cebu International Airport. 

The Bohol-Panglao International Airport in its official Facebook page shared that around 8:30 p.m., Korean Air flight KE 2633 landed.

It carried with them 40 passengers from thee management of Korean Air and Korean Office of Civil Aviation or KOCA. 

“They will join in the investigation of the runway incident in Mactan-Cebu International Airport on October 23, 2022 which caused suspension in flight operations of the said airport,” the post read. 

BPIA officials said it was a special flight facilitated to “expedite the investigations of the runway incident in MCIA to restore its normal flight operations”. 

They will catch the earliest ferry tomorrow to Cebu from Bohol.

Earlier this afternoon, MCIA resumed operations and opened a shortened version of its runway to accommodate outgoing flights of stranded aircrafts. 

It lasted only for two hours from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. As of posting, responders are still doing the standard procedures to extract the aircraft. 

Some passengers who waited for further development at the airport today, have rerouted their trips just to reach their destination. 

Dem Ngujo shared they caught a fast craft via Bohol and booked a flight from the BPIA to Manila for tomorrow afternoon. 

“We didn’t expect we’d reach Bohol,” she shared. 

Port and airport authorities in the province are also on guard as passenger influx awaits them tomorrow following the suspension of flights in Cebu.

• Thanks 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, skippyscage said:

I usually don't put much credit in Reddit info... but reading this guys thread... he seems to have his act together... and his longer description of events is interesting... I chuckled at the part where he said:

"We were told to leave our carryon bags w/ passports, and we all exited via the inflatable slides..... I could go on about the immigration/passport process, but we are still being detained in a hotel, so I’ll try and provide a follow up once that finishes. "...

• Like 2

skippyscage
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You may not realize it but Jack is also an ex pilot.  Thus I will ask both of you if the flight path in this quoted post (below) looks normal or odd?  To a layman it looks very strange.

it's a vectored and/or procedural track - the pilot won't have made it up.

ATC in the PH is pretty rudimentary outside of Manila airspace and vectored institutions are common.

(also an ex pilot - so than makes 3 lol)

• Like 2

skippyscage
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Joey G said:

I usually don't put much credit in Reddit info... but reading this guys thread... he seems to have his act together... and his longer description of events is interesting... I chuckled at the part where he said:

"We were told to leave our carryon bags w/ passports, and we all exited via the inflatable slides..... I could go on about the immigration/passport process, but we are still being detained in a hotel, so I’ll try and provide a follow up once that finishes. "...

yes very coherent and knew what should be happening - unlike many of the Facebook posts from non-passengers about it