What the heck! PAL Cebu to Baguio!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

PAL just announced service Cebu to Baguio.  I never thought Baguio would have commercial service again.

I'll have to be more careful when driving across the runway.  Going to Baguio this weekend.

• Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

PAL just announced service Cebu to Baguio.  I never thought Baguio would have commercial service again.

They must believe that tourists will use the route?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

They must believe that tourists will use the route?

I don't understand why.  The brand new airport at Clark is barely used.  PAL has one flight a day from Clark, to Cebu.  Whatever the reason, they closed that airport because of a few crashes.  It is high up, sloping and subject to fog and bad weather.  This picture is from 2015.

P1320431.JPG

• Hmm thinking 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I used to fly Manila to Baguio a lot... well what I mean is I used to get to the airport for the 6am flight only to find very regularly that the flight was cancelled, wherein I'd call the gf and advise I was once again on Victory or Rabbit bus.

Got cancelled more than it flew. Was wonderfully dramatic when it actually did fly, but last time I was in Baguio kids were playing on what was the runway.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I just chatted with my BIL and he said they have built a new control tower, but he does not know if anything has been done with the terminal.

Side note, he said they got quite a jolt from the Abra earthquake.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Freebie said:

I used to get to the airport for the 6am flight only to find very regularly that the flight was cancelled, wherein I'd call the gf and advise I was once again on Victory or Rabbit bus.

I once considered moving to Baguio.  The climate is more "Canadian", they say.  But as you pointed out, the flights were cancelled so frequently that I decided it was not the place for me.  Good thing because the schedule was eventually eliminated.

I used to wonder why they cannot do instrument landings as current technology must surely be good enough by now, then I saw the result of Korean Air in Mactan during bad weather.  I won't be taking the chance of flying to Baguio now.   But it is interesting that PAL would try it.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted