Noisy roosters and kareoke battling neighbours

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I too live in a gated community that doesn't allow noisy dogs.  Unfortunately, the dogs here can't read the memos and notices about noise!  :hystery:

The homeowners association can :laugh:

27 minutes ago, hk blues said:

As for A/C - there should be no issue with thick walls at all.  I have both split-type and window type units and block walls of around 10" thickness or more.  Sure, it's a messy job to cut the hole for window type in particular but no more than half-days work at most. 

"If you want to build it in the wall, the wall must not be thicker than 9”.  The thick walls usually prevent airflow, and the window AC unit becomes energy inefficient compared to other types of AC units."  - https://learnmetrics.com/air-conditioner-types/

Split types work though.

How did you get 10" thick walls, was that a special request or standard?

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

The homeowners association can :laugh:

"If you want to build it in the wall, the wall must not be thicker than 9”.  The thick walls usually prevent airflow, and the window AC unit becomes energy inefficient compared to other types of AC units."  - https://learnmetrics.com/air-conditioner-types/

Split types work though.

How did you get 10" thick walls, was that a special request or standard?

LOL - My HOA are much more toothless than most of the dogs!

Why are my walls so thick?  I had no idea they were t.b.h. and I certainly didn't make a request for them to be.  I had had them repainted a good few times so that might explain it. :smile:. As for max thickness of 9".  That would surely depend on the placement of the air vents around the unit?  Regardless, the poster in question's walls are less than 9" thick so there is no issue.

Edit - Just did a quick measure of the wall where our Window Type A/C is located. 10 1/4" but there is a 1" moulding so 9 1/4" actual wall thickness.  

Edited by hk blues

Walanapera
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Colsie said:

I think it's compulsory here in the province

I sometimes think that loud karaoke (or even any type of karaoke) is compulsory in the Philippines. I've actually become a much better singer ever since living in the Philippines, all due to the "compulsory" karaoke.

• Haha 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Walanapera said:

I sometimes think that loud karaoke (or even any type of karaoke) is compulsory in the Philippines. I've actually become a much better singer ever since living in the Philippines, all due to the "compulsory" karaoke.

Welcome to this forum Walanapera...feel free to introduce yourself in members greetings. 

Yes, karaoke is very popular in the Philippines and I too have become an expert singer since arriving in the Philippines (compared to everyone else I've heard sing). 

However, it is no longer compulsory for me to listen to inferior kareoke singers at 3am anymore as my bedroom is sound proof. 

:turkey_40_anim_gif:

Edited by Colsie
  • Haha 2

Walanapera
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Colsie said:

Welcome to this forum Walanapera...feel free to introduce yourself in members greetings. 

Hi Colsie, thank you for your warm welcome. I'm living in the States right now due my need to use my Medicare and Federal retiree health insurance. If it wasn't for my medical needs, I'd be doing my best to get back to the Philippines. I've recently had three surgeries (about $1.5 million USD in bills). Since my pockets are virtually empty, I'd be living in fear with a DNR sign hanging over my bed in a Filipino hospital.

RBM
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Colsie said:

Correct, no windows in the bedroom, the ensuite bathroom has a window to allow natural light into the bedroom with the door open 

Wonder if its all worth it, from experience, my own and others I rather think not. Seems life in the province is more hassle than its worth, always something.   There is an old saying, the further out from the the cities the more the nuisances seem to occur. Once the local politics kick in perhaps one will wish they had not invested as much as they have.

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, RBM said:

Wonder if its all worth it, from experience, my own and others I rather think not. Seems life in the province is more hassle than its worth, always something.   There is an old saying, the further out from the the cities the more the nuisances seem to occur. Once the local politics kick in perhaps one will wish they had not invested as much as they have.

I totally agree with your statement. The only thing I reckon one can do is get as far away from the main city as you can on a acreage. That seems to have worked for us, we are 20 minutes from town and some noise from the karaoke but I just crank mine up to drown them out, considering the  next sub division is 200 metres away no problems.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RBM said:

I think it depends on where in the province you live.  I am very content with where we live here in Moalboal.   We hear roosters about 5:00 am or so but we normally get up about daylight ourselves so not real problem.  We get along well with neighbors and load/late music is normally relegated to birthdays and fiesta.  Even then it is usually not the "boom, boom, boom" base noise that shakes walls and eardrums.  We are also at the end of a small road so no traffic at all.  As they say in real estate, the first three rules when you buy are "Location, Location, and Location".  Those rules seem to apply whether urban, suburban, or province.  

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, RBM said:

I have annoyances sure, but I can tolerate them to the point I'm over most of them now.  I had annoyances in a tropical resort style subdivision in my last place in Australia which was a tourist resort with long-term/owners being about a third of the residents https://marlincoveresort.com.au/ Looks pristine and perfect and granted, it was nice, but I'm far happier here than I ever was there.  Different strokes as they say.  

16 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I think it depends on where in the province you live.  I am very content with where we live here in Moalboal.   We here roosters about 5:00 am or so but we normally get up about daylight ourselves so not real problem.  We get along well with neighbors and load/late music is normally relegated to birthdays and fiesta.  Even then it is usually not the "boom, boom, boom" base noise that shakes walls and eardrums.  We are also at the end of a small road so no traffic at all.  As they say in real estate, the first three rules when you buy are "Location, Location, and Location".  Those rules seem to apply whether urban, suburban, or province.  

Similar situation to us, end of the road, neighbours are all great (except that "one" that everyone has but he's 50m up the road so rarely have to see him), early risers as well, the music rarely goes past pm.  The dogs have become white noise and the drive to "civilisation" every couple of weeks is fun and a break in the routine.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I have annoyances sure, but I can tolerate them to the point I'm over most of them now.  I had annoyances in a tropical resort style subdivision in my last place in Australia which was a tourist resort with long-term/owners being about a third of the residents https://marlincoveresort.com.au/ Looks pristine and perfect and granted, it was nice, but I'm far happier here than I ever was there.  Different strokes as they say.  

Similar situation to us, end of the road, neighbours are all great (except that "one" that everyone has but he's 50m up the road so rarely have to see him), early risers as well, the music rarely goes past pm.  The dogs have become white noise and the drive to "civilisation" every couple of weeks is fun and a break in the routine.  

Photo taken last night.  Peaceful, quiet, beautiful, balm for the soul and a reward for 40+ years of hard work.

IMG_20221027_180630.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love it 2