Noisy roosters and kareoke battling neighbours

Colsie
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Which "gated community"?

Camella Tacloban City. 

In reflection, in all my time living in the Philippines in both rural and city the only time I've been subjected to crime is when my apartment was burgled in Angles City. My apartment was in a secure gated building with one entry/exit and the guard was 24/7. Yet, someone kicked my door in and walked out with my 42" TV under a bed sheet...nobody saw anything or tried to stop them... Luckily they didn't take my bicycle 

Screenshot_20221031_013306.jpg

• Like 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Brings up the point, if there's nothing worth stealing in the province, there's not much need for security there.

The point is, that even if you have wealth you can't display it, quite the opposite. My house is not a mansion it's small single floor humble concrete structure that looks unfinished. I don't own a car and if I did it would be a little suzuki... I portray the image of a try Pooreigner, I have a simple yet happy low profile life here :morning1:

But of course there's always risk, and my biggest risk is the GF's family, friends and our neighbours. That being said, that's probably same for most here in the Philippines. 

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Colsie said:

Camella Tacloban City.

See that's the thing. Tacloban is barely a 'city', 1/10th the assets of Cebu City, nearly 1/100th of Makati.  So it's not that surprising that it retains province-related problems with security.

33 minutes ago, Colsie said:

my biggest risk is the GF's family, friends and our neighbours. That being said, that's probably same for most here in the Philippines. 

Agreed, a problem eliminated with guards preventing outsider entry to your house or condo.

Edited by Kingpin
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, BrettGC said:

a less attractive/harder

C'mon man.  Do you want me to be less attractive or harder?  I can't be both.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, BrettGC said:

It doesn't matter where you live, you just have to make yourself a less attractive/harder target than your neighbours - a basic tenet of home security anywhere.  In our case in PI a less attractive/harder option than the nearest foreigner :whistling:,

Yep, back when I was working in various countries, we were always taught by regional  heads of security to harden the target.

Make your security measures  both visible and alert and aware, and that any prospective bad guys ( or bad actors as now seems to be the term ?) would go and pick an easier target. I remember that "harden the target" phrase very well.

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, BrettGC said:

It doesn't matter where you live, you just have to make yourself a less attractive/harder target than your neighbours

It's both, foreigners are already the easiest targets because criminals know very well that only Filipinos can shoot em, one reason foreigners benefit from condos or gated villages even more than locals do.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, BrettGC said:

It doesn't matter where you live, you just have to make yourself a less attractive/harder target than your neighbours - a basic tenet of home security anywhere.  In our case in PI a less attractive/harder option than the nearest foreigner :whistling:,

Yep...it's like the old joke where 2 guys are in the jungle and one notices the other is wearing Nike's.  He laughs and tells his friend that he'll never be able to outrun a tiger wearing those - the friend replies he's right but he will be able to outrun him!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
On 10/31/2022 at 10:01 AM, Kingpin said:

See that's the thing. Tacloban is barely a 'city', 1/10th the assets of Cebu City, nearly 1/100th of Makati.  So it's not that surprising that it retains province-related problems with security.

Agreed, a problem eliminated with guards preventing outsider entry to your house or condo.

So basically it's just certain cities that are safe, for example the one you live in:mocking: 

From my understanding of what you're saying is that the bigger the city the less crime there is? 

You are right, I have several loyal guards with big teeth preventing entry into my place. 

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Colsie said:

what you're saying is that the bigger the city the less crime there is?

Where the money is, the security follows, especially in a nation like the Philippines. And there are only two locations where big money is, in the entire country; Manila and Cebu, and the cities within those provinces.

1 hour ago, Colsie said:

it's just certain cities that are safe, for example the one you live in

That would be an accurate statement, as explained above. :tiphat:

• Like 1